This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

For me, many of my friends, and tons of Generation Z teenagers alike, Lorde was the soundtrack to our adolescence. She has a song for every moment, from driving down the highway on a summer night with your best friends to figuring out who you are to getting over a breakup and even more, and I think she has a song for every zodiac sign. Here are twelve of Lorde’s songs matched up with twelve of the zodiac signs!

ARIES (March 21-April 20): GLORY AND GORE.

Aries is a sign so often defined by bravery and passion, and this song is just that. With lines like, “You can try and take us/but we’re the gladiators” and, “We mean it, but I promise we’re not mean”, this just screams “Aries.”

TAURUS (April 21-May 20): RIBS.

Taurus is characterized by loyalty, warmth, and patience. This song is chock-full of nostalgia and love, and, as a Taurus myself, I kind of had to give myself the best Lorde song. Some key Taurus lines include, “I want ‘em back/the minds we had/how all the thoughts/moved ‘round our heads” and “I’ve never felt more alone/it feels so scary getting old.”

GEMINI (May 21-June 21): HARD FEELINGS/LOVELESS.

Geminis can find their duality as the “twin” of the zodiac signs reflected through this two-in-one combo of songs. From “Hard Feelings,” a line that shows the gentle side of Geminis is, “I light all the candles/cut flowers for all my rooms/I care for myself the way I used to care about you,” and from “Loveless”, a line that highlights the more careless and cold side of Geminis is, “Bet you wanna rip my heart out/bet you wanna skip my calls now/well, guess what/I like that.”

CANCER (June 21-July 23): WRITER IN THE DARK.

Cancers are such deeply emotional and often easily attached people, and this song definitely gives off that energy! The most Cancer line to me is probably, “Hated hearing my name on the lips of a crowd/did my best to exist just for you.”

LEO (July 23-August 23): PERFECT PLACES.

This is one of Lorde’s most upbeat songs, yet it still has traces of uncertainty woven throughout its lyrics. Like Leos, this song is fun and full of passion but also contains an inability to accept hard realities. A particularly Leo line is, “I’m nineteen and I’m on fire/but when we’re dancing I’m alright/it’s just another graceless night.”

VIRGO (August 23-September 23): THE LOVE CLUB.

Virgos often struggle with feelings of shyness and are critical of both themselves and those around them, yet they’re also very analytical and loyal. These feelings are woven throughout Lorde’s “The Love Club” and seen in lines like, “I’m sitting pretty on the throne/there’s nothing more I want/except to be alone.”

LIBRA (September 23-October 23): SUPERCUT.

Libras are known both for their romantic tendencies and for their indecision, and “Supercut”is brimming with references to both. A line like “We keep trying to talk about us/I’m someone you maybe might love” is very Libra.

SCORPIO (October 23-November 22): LIABILITY.

Okay, so Lorde herself is a Scorpio, so technically all of her songs are Scorpio songs, but in my opinion, this is her most Scorpio song. Scorpios are intense and intimidating people on the outside but often super sweet and soft on the inside, but they often struggle with being seen as “too much,” and this song is about that feeling. Lyrics like, “I understand/I’m a liability/get you wild, make you leave/I’m a little too much for everyone” give off such Scorpio energy.

SAGITTARIUS (November 22-December 22): HOMEMADE DYNAMITE.

Sagittarians are outgoing, fiery, and fun-loving souls, and this song reflects that perfectly. Some choice Sagittarius lyrics are, “Our rules, our dreams, we’re blind/blowing shit up with homemade dynamite,” and, “So let’s let things come out of the woodwork/I’ll give you best side/show you all my best lies.”

CAPRICORN (December 22-January 20): STILL SANE.

Capricorns are so underrated, and this is one of Lorde’s most underrated songs. Capricorns can find their dedicated and disciplined but subtly anxious and irritable natures reflected through lyrics like, “Everything I say falls right back into everything/I’m not in the swing of things,” and, “All work and no play/never made me lose it/all business all day/keeps me up a level.”

AQUARIUS (January 20-February 18): 400 LUX.

Aquarians are introspective, noble, and good-hearted individuals, yet they often shy from true emotional expression. This song really captures Aquarius energy with lines like, “Pulses can drive from here/we might be hollow but we’re brave.”

PISCES (February 18-March 20): THE LOUVRE.

Pisces are one of the softest and most romantic zodiac signs, and this song perfectly encapsulates that tenderness. The most Pisces line in this song is, “I’m just the sucker who let you fill her mind/but what about love?”

Annie Rinaldi

Emerson '22

a
Emerson contributor