Where to Shop at Emerson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson is a very judgmental school, but because of this we have high standards in fashion. Whether we chose to be hipster, preppy, or surprisingly even sporty there are certain places, us Emerson students, find acceptable to shop at.
            Even though many of us at Emerson have money in our pockets we all find the need to shop in the garment district and buy all those cheap or second hand clothes. I believe one of the Emerson Kid Lion meme’s read “ $15 outfit from garment district, $3000 cannon DSLR around neck” that’s just #soemerson.
            Excluding the garment district most Emerson students have very picky tastes when it comes to clothing.  Shopping at Walmart and Target are just not options. Even stores like American Eagle are looked down upon. Sure, we all love their jeans and a good flannel but we will never admit to having gone shopping there.
            However, while American Eagle is a “no no” it is ok to shop at stores with even cheaper quality goods! Places such as H&M and Forever 21. Is this because these stores have more selection of clothes? I guess we will never know. 
            Old Navy is similar to American Eagle in the fact that it is never spoken about. Do Emerson students even shop there? I know they shop at Old Navy’s sister stores Banana Republic and the Gap. As college students have we just grown out of Old Navy?
            All Saints, Anthropologie, Madewell, Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, American Apparel, and Urban Outfitters are stores that all, female at least, Emerson students strive for. These stores cost more money but we always end up buying from them.  Bye, bye hard earned college fund.
            Clothing from stores or websites, the majority of the population hasn’t heard of, is also acceptable. This mentality must come from going to a school full of hipsters. You see a girl in your class, who you’ve talked to a few times, and ask her where she got her shirt. She answers with a place you’ve never heard of and then all through class you are surfing their website and thinking you’re cool for having discovered this new store.
            Underwear and shoes are a whole nother topic. They better have a designer label, boots must be real leather, and everyone needs a pair of Uggs and Toms on their shoe racks. Under Armor, Adidas, and Nike are acceptable when going to the gym but not acceptable to be worn as everyday wear.
            With all of Emerson’s judgmental eyes watching us, its no wonder our school pretty much has a dress code. Hopefully you are not one who needs their approval.

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.