What Type of Holiday Movie Are You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, not only because of the holidays, but also the immense amount of movie selections that come with them. Whether you tune in to every day of ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas or you can’t get enough of A Christmas Story, there’s no doubt that whatever channel you’re watching (or even your Netflix Suggestions) will have its own hint of holiday cheer. But which genre fits you best? Read on to find your match made in holiday heaven!

Rankin-Bass Animated Specials: Though you might not recognize their names, Rankin and Bass’ classic stop-motion animated holiday hits have been a staple of 25 Days of Christmas, and pretty much every household with children for decades. If you’re a sucker for nostalgia and aren’t afraid to embrace your inner child on a regular basis, these are your kind of holiday movies. These are also perfect for anyone looking to get a little musical fix during the holidays, since each special is filled with catchy tunes. My personal favorite from this genre is The Year Without A Santa Claus, a heartwarming tale set during a Christmas when Santa falls ill and two of his elves go on a crazy adventure to do some damage control (watch for the scene-stealing Miser Brothers, whose biting humor and slapstick bickering can be appreciated at any age). Other great claymation classics include Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, Rudolph’s Shiny New Year, and The Little Drummer Boy.

Made-for-TV Tearjerkers: If you think there’s no such thing as being too theatrical, then these sappy movies are right up your alley. The plots of most of these movies involve the characters coping with either loss of a family member, some terminal illness, an accident, and other depressing things during the holidays. Those who typically prefer having Blue Christmas-esque melancholy instead of Holly Jolly pep gravitate towards this genre. Or those with a sadistic, sarcastic side might just enjoy laughing at the melodrama of it all. Most of these movies call the Hallmark Channel home, but a few can be found on Lifetime and other networks as well (such as The Christmas Shoes, see photo above). So get your tissue boxes ready and look for these particularly sad (or funny, you decide) selections: Lost Holiday, Lifetime’s latest The Christmas Consultant, Christmas in Canaan (starring none other than Billy Ray Cyrus), and Comfort and Joy.

Festive Rom Coms: Whether you’d identify yourself as a hopeless romantic or a love pessimist, we can all agree that romantic comedies are entertaining on some level. If nothing else, these movies are a little more politically correct to laugh at than their cinematic peers, because after all they are supposed to be funny. These movies have just the right mix of holiday spirit, ridiculous romance plot lines, and the occasional LOL moment that make them the perfect companion to someone looking for lighthearted fun. ABC Family has cornered this market for the past few years with a slew of original Christmas movies focused on quirky love stories with a holiday twist. Holiday in Handcuffs, Snowglobe, Santa Baby, Christmas Cupid, and Desperately Seeking Santa are just a few good ones that’ll make you feel the love and feel that holiday spirit.

Classy Classics: For those old souls out there who like continuity and simplicity, this is your genre. The live-action holiday movies of the 40’s and 50’s that made the likes of Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Doris Day even more iconic still air every year to this day. There’s nothing better for a homebody with a passion for the old-fashioned than to curl up under a blanket with a black-and-white Christmas classic from the good old days, with the predictable yet lovable plots you never get tired of watching. If you’re this type of girl, you probably know these movies like the back of your hand, but in case you want to make a list to check off: A Christmas Carol, Holiday Inn, It’s A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, White Christmas, Holiday Affair, and I’ll Be Seeing You.

Blog Co-Editor and Staff Writer for HC Emerson. writer. shower singer. poet. IMDb buff. nail artist. cat & dog lover. fangirl. tennis player. die-hard Steelers fan. chef. moviehopper. Netflix addict.
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.