This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not exactly a style icon. My taste in clothes is usually pretty “safe,” and I don’t particularly care about brands or certain stores. To the people who are more tuned into the fashion scene, I applaud you. I can appreciate a good lewk as much as the next person, even if I’m not prone to wearing it myself. I will say that college (especially because we go to Emerson, one of the artsy-est schools around) has opened my eyes when it comes to fashion, and even though I’m still pretty tame in my style, I’ve taken the baby steps toward being bold.

Last semester, I had the unfortunate experience of having an 8 AM class. Of course, this meant that I would wake up at 7:45 and roll out of bed to get to class. I was certainly not looking my best in that class, and I was cool with it. There was this girl that came to class just about every time with a fully recognized outfit, blended eyeshadow, and winged eyeliner. Not to be dramatic, but it was one of the most badass things I’ve seen in college. I couldn’t fathom even trying to create a berry-toned makeup look at 7 in the morning.

Everywhere you look at Emerson, someone is rocking something that you probably didn’t even think to wear yourself. Everyone is wearing what they feel comfortable in, and sometimes that means wearing a neon tracksuit or bright purple lipstick. The truth that is sometimes hard for me to realize is that no one really cares. If you wear something that you think is “too much,” the only one constantly thinking about it will likely be you. We live in this big, awesome city, filled with endless people passing through.You don’t have to dress to please anyone but yourself. 

So rock that denim on denim, swipe on your favorite red lipstick, and own the look that makes you happy. Who knows? You might inspire someone else to reinvigorate their own style.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor