What To Do When Traveling Abroad Is Not for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As collegiettes, we are constantly overwhelmed with the immense amount of information about studying abroad. Let’s face it; going abroad is a big step to take when having to make the leap over to a foreign place. Some people aren’t ready for that change, and that is completely okay! There are many ways to gain worldly experience without going abroad.

1. Get involved at school

There are plenty of amazing major-related opportunities here at Emerson. Make the most of them and join clubs and organizations that fulfill everything you want to explore and learn. Try writing for a magazine, or get involved with one of the international organizations! You will feel accomplished because you’re taking hold of everything else the school has to offer.

2. Research jobs and internships in the area

Another way to gain perspective and experience is researching and interviewing for jobs and internships. Getting firsthand experience in a work place will not only allow you to network and become familiar with aspects of your major, but it could potentially provide you with a job for after graduation!

3. Go on a family vacation

Going abroad by yourself can be nerve-wracking, but you can always travel with your family. It’s a great way to bond and have family time without feeling the anxiety of being in a foreign country alone! Family vacations allow you to see the culture that you would have experienced abroad for a semester, but without having to take classes while you’re there!

4. Talk to your professors

For individuals who aren’t comfortable traveling abroad, talking to your professors will also help! Professors can give great insight on what would be good for you and your major. As they get to know you as a student, they’ll be able to judge opportunities and ideas that would make for a great experience.

The most important thing is to not feel the pressure to travel abroad. If it isn’t for you, then don’t fret! There are plenty of options, especially here at Emerson!

Emerson contributor