Wellness

What Can College Students Do to Combat Climate Change?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The argument that individual actions don’t matter when combating climate change is bogus–– the point isn’t  to blame consumers, but rather to encourage change. As college students, we can often feel helpless when it comes to the future and the impending doom that is global warming. However, small actions are better than no action at all.

Yes, big corporations are the ones in charge of mass pollution. But, who are these companies producing goods and fuel for? Consumers. We demand and use these fossil fuels that the corporations are producing. Yes, these companies should be held accountable for their emissions, but that accountability trickles down to all of us. 

We, as a society, are embedded in a system of consumerism and capitalism that reaps the benefit of our planet’s destruction. When we drive, take the bus, eat meat, or fly, fossil fuels are burned and greenhouse gasses are put into the atmosphere. When we buy from certain companies and choose what energy we invest in, we are making subtle choices that emit certain amounts of carbon.

Many of us act in these daily activities without batting an eye, but our individual choices add up. Even worse is that for all of these actions, we are not the only ones doing them. Plenty of other people drive, eat meat, and fly as well. 

So what can you do? Here are some tips. 

1. Education
  • The first step, as with most issues, is educating yourself on the problem. Getting involved and taking action are crucial, but so is the education that fuels that action. Look at what your school is providing in terms of classes and online resources that are built towards conservation and climate change. I, personally, could not have any higher praise for Emerson’s Climate Change course. 
  1. Reduce YOUR Carbon Footprint
  • Moving into a dorm or your first apartment can be the perfect time to kickstart better habits. Some of us are already reducing our footprint without knowing it! By walking or taking public transportation, we are actively choosing to put less carbon emissions into the air. 
  • Avoid purchasing disposables. I know you hear it all the time, but in truth, it keeps products out of landfills. I’m not saying you have to be perfect, but by eliminating single use plastics and other disposable items, you reduce your carbon footprint. Not only does that Starbucks cup take up space in a landfill, it takes tremendous amounts of water, paper, and fossil fuels to produce. 
  • Reduce your meat and dairy consumption. Red meat products and cows have high impacts on the environment. I’m not saying you have to go vegetarian or vegan, but try consuming less meat and dairy products throughout the week. 
  • Arguably the hardest part of reducing your carbon footprint is purchasing more responsibly. That doesn’t just mean stopping purchases from amazon or even thrift shops, it means rethinking the items you really need. It means cutting down on the amount of ‘stuff’ we have and truly only buying necessities. When you do have to buy an item, where is it coming from? How was it sourced? These are all ideas to keep in mind when it comes to being a responsible consumer. 
  1. Get Involved
  • Working with local groups within your community can help combat climate effects on the local environment. There are also many national and global organizations that support climate action and conservation. 
  • Most importantly, vote. The best way to get the government involved is to vote for candidates who support climate action. Government officials are there to be a larger part of your voice, so make sure you stay involved. 
  • Our carbon footprint is inevitable, but the steps we take to reduce it don’t have to be. By minimizing our own impacts we can take power back from those who wish to squash it. As consumers we are not powerless, despite corporations’ determination to make us believe we are. We can change the system through our actions and our demands for accountability. 
Sadie Collins

Emerson '23

Sadie Collins is a junior at Emerson College studying journalism, literature, and environmental science.