Wanderlust on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

In my 21 years I have been fortunate enough to visit two continents, eleven countries and countless states and cities. I have had experiences I could have never imagined and that is the ultimate reason to travel. There are so many things to see in the world beyond the classic museums and popular wonders. The only issue with these places is that they can be a little difficult to get to. As much as I love to travel, I hate figuring out logistics, especially on a budget; it’s a lot of comparing and a lot of headaches.

That is where Contiki comes in. This site is perfect. It is the answer to all the terrible parts of traveling and planning, giving you just the fun stuff to do. But the best thing is that you never have to be afraid of ending up on one of those stereotypical tours guided by an obnoxious leader with an absurdly large flag and seemingly endless energy. Plus, these trips are meant for people under the age of 35, so they are cost effective and have many adventures.

As somebody with a bucket list full of travel destinations, it was hard to choose favorites, but these are some definite highlights.

Andes & Amazon

This is a trip for people that really like to adventure; there is hiking, rafting and biking and some incredible sites, including Machu Picchu and the Amazon. These are places where you get transported into a different time and get to know cultures completely different from your own. This is truly a wonderland brought to life and a place where a camera is necessary because from the looks of it, every scene could be a postcard.

Greek Island Hopping

Two weeks surrounded by clear water, rocky shores and hills of white homes is a pretty good life. Aside from some time spent in Athens, the trip includes the three islands; Mykonos, Santorini and Ios; some of the smallest islands that make up Greece, but they have a lot to offer. There are the ancient ruins, a lot of drinking and some definite relaxation. This is a trip for people that want to celebrate, relax and enjoy the sunny beaches of Greece.

Asian Adventure

With multiple stops in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia, this trip introduces you to the parts of Asia a little less known. The architecture is one of the highlights of the trip; the ornate gold details make the homes look less like buildings and more like pieces of art. Then there is the food, the curries, noodles, soup and all the other mysteries that the markets hold. This is definitely a destination for people that are not afraid of new experiences and taking chances in a foreign country.

Sunsets and Surf with Sailing

With two variations of this trip, one starting in Sydney and the other in Whitsundays, a lot of area is covered. Between surfing, swimming and sailing there is also a lot of time is spent on and by the water. Plus, there is plenty of interaction with the native animals and people. Australia is notorious for being a great place to party and just hang out and this trip makes sure that you get to experience the entire Australian lifestyle.

To find out more about Contiki, follow them on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and their blog.

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.