Traveling Abroad: Benefits of Solo Weekend Travels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Traveling abroad is a special opportunity. It can be even more special if you decide to travel alone sometimes. Sure, doing a study abroad travel program is a great way to meet new people, but you may need some alone time on the weekends. Having a travel buddy on the weekends can often bring you down; either they don’t want to do what you want to do, or vise versa, or you just get overwhelmed! Try traveling solo sometimes; there are definitely some benefits.

1) It’s all about you!

When you travel on your own, it’s really all about you. You get to do what you want, when you want, where you want. You get to pick what you eat, where you eat, and when you eat. Your wish is your reality because there is no one holding you back! Often on weekends when you are traveling around with your friends, you do not get to do what you really want to do because you have to take the other persons thoughts and wants into consideration. When traveling solo, your feelings are the only ones that matter. You can also be very unprompted and flexible; you may go to bed thinking you want to see a museum the next day, and then when you wake up you may decide that you want to do a bus tour instead of the museum. No problem!

2) You’ll learn to be (even more) independent and confident!

Of course, you are already an independent and confident person now. Traveling alone on the weekends, though, will really put your agenda into your own hands. You hold your own destiny. Not only will you figure out the opportunities of the world, but also you will figure out the possibilities of yourself.

3) You’ll never really be alone!

When you open your eyes a little, you’ll notice you are never actually alone. People are always around you. For example, there are many free walking tours at hostels that are educating and fascinating. There are endless possibilities.

4) Meeting more, new amazing people

Often when traveling with friends, you stay in close groups, or even cliques, which can make it hard to meet new people. You spend all of your time with that group; you wake up with them, eat your meals with them, explore with them, and go to sleep at the same time as them. If you travel solo, you are much more eager to meet new people and make new friends that you usually would not have crossed paths with.

Traveling alone has more benefits than downsides. You may get lonely at times, but there are always people surrounding you that will make your independent travels worthwhile. Becoming independent and adventurous through traveling alone will be rewarding and memorable!

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.