Top 15 Summer Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

This summer there are literally going to be movies coming out every week. Being a movie buff, I am really excited for this summer’s releases. The movies coming out span all genres and cater to all types of audiences. Below I will list and briefly describe 15 movies I think will be big hits with us college kids. But don’t worry, there will definitely be more than 15 great movies coming out this summer.

1.) The Avengers (May 4th) – All your favorite Marvel heroes come together in one epic movie to save the world. You won’t want to miss this one! If you are still in Boston on May 3rd the Loews theatre is doing an all day showing of the previous Marvel movies leading up to the midnight premiere of The Avengers.

2.) The Dictator (May 16th) – Yes, Sacha Baron Cohen is doing another, probably extremely insulting, movie. But I am sure some of you out there are dying to see what hysterically outrageous thing he will do in his latest film about a foreign dictator who gets kidnaped and left without any money in New York City. And if Cohen isn’t your thing Anna Faris is the leading lady in this film and she has a cute new haircut. 

3.)  Dark Shadows (May 11th) – Tim Burton and Johnny Depp team up again to create another brilliant film. Dark Shadows is a comedic fantasy about a newly freed vampire trying to live his life in the 21st century. But of course, there is an evil witch trying to destroy Barnabas (Depp) and his family.

4.) Hysteria (May 18th) – Maggie Gyllenhaal stars in this romp film about the invention of the vibrator. This film is a Sony Classics production so for some this movie may be an acquired taste.

5.) Snow White and the Huntsman (June 1st) – I don’t  know about you but this is my number one choice for this summer’s movies. With an amazing cast and an interesting twist this version of Snow White is sure to surprise and entertain you.

6.) Rock of Ages (June 15th) – Personally, I am not looking forward to this movie but I feel like it is a must see. The cast is full of big name actors doing surprising roles. But I am most excited at seeing how Tom Cruise does as a rock star.

7.) That’s My Boy (June 15th) – In this summer comedy Adam Sandler plays a young father to Andy Samberg. Once Todd (Samberg) turns eighteen he leaves his father and they do not speak for years. Donny (Sandler) decides he wants to rekindle his relationship with his son changing his son’s new life.

8.) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (June 22nd) – It seems like the vampire fad hasn’t died with this interesting twist to a President’s story. Hopefully, everyone will leave the theatre questioning whether or not our 16th President was a vampire hunter.

9.) People Like Us (June 29th) – Two of my favorite actors, Chris Pine and Elizabeth Banks, grace the screen in this engrossing summer drama. Sam (Pine), is in charge of delivering his dead father’s money to a sister who does not know he exists. Obviously, the story line isn’t this simple and Sam and his sister’s relationship might surprise you.

10.) The Amazing Spider-Man (July 3rd) – I don’t know about you but this new version of Spider-Man has me all sorts of excited. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield play the lead roles and I am so excited to see the two of them in a film together. This version of the Spider-Man comic may be a little different than what you are expecting because it focuses more on Peter Parker and his parents than Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man.

11.) The Dark Knight Rises (July 20th) – Another edition to the latest Batman series. You may be surprised with this one or you may not but most likely you’ll be seeing this film. How can you say no to Christian Bale and his deep “Batman” voice?

12.) Neighborhood Watch (July 27th) – When first hearing about this movie I thought it was going to be another “old guy” movie like Old Dogs or Grown Ups. But, I was pleasantly surprised to find out Jonah Hill would be in this movie. Hopefully, he does not disappoint in this film about dad’s trying to save the world.

13.) Sparkle (August 17th)  – In this remake of of the 1976 musical Whitney Houston stars alongside Jordin Sparks in her last film performance. Three sisters try and make it big as singers but the job ends up tearing them apart. They then must work their way back to finding each other and what they originally wanted with singing.

14.) ParaNorman (August 17th) – This film is by the makers of Coraline and deals with a young boy who can talk to dead people. However, he must use the help of his friends and family to save his town once the dead come back to life.

15.) Ted (July 13th) – Hopefully this film is not as awkward as last summer’s movie, The Beaver. John (Mark Wahlberg) as a child wishes for his teddy bear to talk and live. His wish comes true but unfortunately the bear still is alive in John’s adult life. This, of course, causes many problems for John, leaving him with a very tough decision in the end. 

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.