Tips To Keep Calm Over The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

While the holidays are arguable one of the best times of year, it is also one of the most stressful.  We all know the spiral of questions that leads us to stress out more than anything.  The onslaught of questions that take out casual celebration (oh whichever holiday you decide) and make it the most dreaded and stressful time of year.  Do we have enough food?  Is everyone going to show up?  Will everything be ready on time?  Will the cats try to climb/eat the tree?  Will the menorah set everything on fire?  Will this crazy obscure and distant relative like the gift I got them even though we haven’t spoken since last winter?  Is that same relative going to ask me about what I’m doing with my life?  What…am…I doing with my life?

Have no fear! Whether you are stressing about the presents you got for everyone you know, what you’re going to cook for dinner, or over the fact that you have to see you family and endure their interrogation of your life, we all stress around the holidays.  But, just because we all get stressed out, doesn’t mean we have to stay stressed out!  Heres some helpful tips to help you endure the worst of the worst this holiday season!

1.) Take a deep breath.

No matter what you are stressing about, taking a deep breath, holding it for a moment, and letting it go is a great way to let out some steam.  For your convenience, just follow the gif above to help you out with all your deep breath needs.

2.) Take a step back.

We’re all guilty of stressing out and then realizing were stressing out which makes us all more stressed out.  So, instead of letting your stress build, step away from the situation and do something else.  Then, once you’ve cooled off, return to the thing that brought you stress and look at it with a clear mind.  Sometimes, all we need is a little time away from something to make things just click!

3.) Take 10-15 minutes to meditate before or after a stressful event.

While the first two examples are in the moment things, sometimes you need to really break away from the situation and clear your head completely.  Meditating is a great way to take care of yourself, as well as reducing your stress levels to keep you calm, cool, and collected this holiday season (or really, in any season).  

I hope these tips help get you through the holidays!  Stay safe, stay warm, and stay sane!  Happy Holidays!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor