This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

With the holidays just around the corner, everyone’s heads are filled with thoughts of things they need to get: great gifts for friends and family, new outfits for holiday parties, and winter gear as the colder weather sets in. On a college student’s budget, this list can seem overwhelmingly impossible to tackle. The solution to this problem? Thrift shops. Not only are they eco-friendly and newly chic, thanks to Macklemore’s song, but thrift shops are a great and easy way to get new clothes at a great price.

If you’ve never been to a thrift shop before, the thought of sifting through old, worn clothes can be incredibly daunting. So go in with some knowledge and a plan. Here are some tips to make your thrifting experience totally worth your while.

• Patience! Most thrift shops have an overwhelming selection of clothes, from vintage clothes, to new ones, to used clothes that people donated. Some of it might be organized, but some might just be tossed into piles. Go into the shop with the right attitude. If you’re tired or not in the mood to sift through clothes, pick a different day to go.
  • Know when to say no. The appeal of thrift shops are that the clothes are used, so they’re super cheap, but this also means there’s a reason someone else didn’t want them. The saying “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure” is not always the case in thrift shops. Some people donate clothes because they are torn or stained. Don’t be swayed by the low price tag. Sometimes people donate clothes because they are beyond repair. Don’t waste your money on something that can’t be fixed.
  • Check out the vintage section. No one wants to wear their grandma’s clothes, but if you go to a thrift shop with a vintage section, definitely pay it a visit.  If you’re into sewing, there are lots of great dresses that could be spruced up with a bit of hemming. Even if you’re not handy with a needle and thread, there are plenty of great finds in the vintage section you can still wear. Don’t let the name scare you off!
  • Give it time. Shopping at a regular store is time-consuming enough, but at a thrift store, it’s even more time-consuming. Go on a day where you can dedicate plenty of time for searching. You might even find a hidden gem if you have enough patience and time!

So fear not festive fashionistas! You no longer have to worry about finding that perfect New Years Eve outfit or a gift for your equally stylish mom! Just take some advice from our pal Macklemore, and head right to the thrift shop!

Erin is a junior at Emerson College studying journalism, publishing, and writing. She comes from southeastern Massachusetts and enjoys reading magazines, getting hooked on new TV shows, traveling, and spending time with her dog. Erin hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @erin_kayata.
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.