Things to Do Outside of Boston this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

One of the great things about going to school at Emerson is the fact that we’re located right in the heart of Boston. The city bustles around us, and though we do have the advantage of being adjacent to the Common, sometimes the city life can get overwhelming. For when you need to get out of the craziness of the city, here are a few places to check out:

The Chestnut Hill Reservoir

Just a T-ride away, the Chestnut Hill Reservoir is located next to the gorgeous campus of Boston College. The Res was originally created in 1870 to supplement the water needs of the city of Boston, but was decommissioned in 1973 and now provides a beautiful location for a walk or a run. The area around the Reservoir is beautiful and can be a quiet alternative to the noise of the city.

Mount Auburn Cemetery

Don’t let the fact that this is a cemetery put you off of visiting, there’s nothing spooky about it! Located on the border of Watertown and Cambridge, Mount Auburn Cemetery is a lovely and serene place for a stroll, to take pictures, or to try your hand at drawing or painting. The 173-acre cemetery is covered in trees and ponds, and sports 10 miles of walking paths, not to mention that you can take a visit to the grave of Charles Wesley Emerson, founder and first president of Emerson College!

Honeypot Hill Orchard

For those of you who have access to a car, definitely check out Honeypot Hill Orchard. This pick-your-own apple orchard is about a 45-minute drive from the city, and also has hayrides, cider, pumpkin patches, and the largest hedge maze in North America! You’ll go home with more apples than you know what to do with, but if you gather a couple of friends and split a bag, it’ll cost you just a few bucks for ten pounds of apples!

George’s Island

To really get out of the city, try taking a ferry to George’s Island. The island is home to Civil War-era Fort Warren, which you can tour, but beware! The fort is said to be haunted by the ghastly Lady in Black. For those of you less interested in ghosts, the island also makes for a great location to gather some friends, take a walk, and have a picnic on the warmer days of the year.

Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop