This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Although Boston has yet to accept that it is spring, I have fully embraced it. That means it is time to start thinking about dresses, shorts, sandals and just about anything else that is not a full-body parka. Read on to find out how to incorporate the newest styles into your spring and summer activities.

The Day Trip

With warmer weather comes the impulse to just go and do. That means your outfit needs to translate into many occasions, but also be reasonable for traveling by bus, car, train or airplane (if that is how you roll). That means only the essentials.

Sunglasses, this classic style is everywhere for a reason: everybody looks good in them.

The classic t-shirt, this is a perfect fit, not too tight, but still with a shape that keeps your outfit relaxed and casual.

Pajama-style pants, following the spring/summer trends, switch out the typical jean for this exciting option that is as comfortable as it is easy to travel in comfy without looking like you just rolled out of bed.

A backpack, refreshed in a bright color is the perfect bag, big enough for all your snacks, camera and phone – backpacks are not just for school anymore.

Vintage-style sandals, finish the look with these simple, but still interesting sandals.

Festival Wear

Now that Boston has finally joined the cities across America with a music festival, it is time to think about what you wear for a day of music, food, heat and drinks. The key is to wear something easy.

A vest, choose a vest with a lot of pockets so you won’t have to think about losing anything; just keep the essentials on you at all times.

Semi-sheer top, this is light and breezy and the perfect contrast to be layered under the more sporty vest style.

Levis cut-offs, these shorts are too classic to ever give up and are the perfect base to the 60s-throwback vibe of this outfit 

Sneakers, sandals may seem like a good idea, but you do not want to see the bottom of your feet after a day outside, sneakers are the cute, fresh alternative 

Internships

For most, “professional” means a suit, but in the summer, for a college kid, that is a little much. How many people really have a second wardrobe just for the office? The trick is to combine clothes you may already have with some new pieces.

A romper in a kimono-inspired cut is both fashionable and flattering, with a V-neck and flowing fabric. This romper follows the Eastern influence found on the runways. The pattern adds youthfulness to the look, while the romper style is professional enough for you to fit in at the office without losing your style.

Light wood soled, chunky heels are great compliment to keep the outfit light and give you a height boost, elongating the leg.

Stacked bracelets and watch add the final touch of personality to the outfit. Don’t be afraid to mix metals, textures, materials or colors, just remember to keep the rest of your accessories minimal.

Beach

Nothing signifies summer more than the first day at the beach. Get your magazines ready, towels packed and get ready for the first tan (or burn) of the season.

A simple tank dress, is the best beach cover-up and the soft blue tie-dye will look good on all skin tones. The dress is easy to take on and off and does not wrinkle, so it can be tossed, crumpled and forgotten about during your day in the sun.

Wide-brimmed hat, in favor of the more fashion-forward look, skip the sunglasses and the awkward tan lines and stop squinting all day. 

The bathing suit, the first time you step into a bathing suit is always dreaded, but try a cool one piece for some extra coverage and a unique look.

A short-sleeved sweatshirt is the perfect layer for when the beach gets colder and windier into night; it’s cute and on-trend. 

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.