Spring Break without breaking the bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Ah, spring break. One of the best times to relax in the sun and nonchalantly check out that sexy guy at the pool bar. However, as a broke college student you may be thinking twice about whether to splurge on a week of fun in the sun. Don’t worry, there are many ways to have a fun week without emptying your wallet.

The first thing to do when planning a budget friendly spring break is to ask friends if they have a house somewhere warm. If not, flirt shamelessly with the guy in your class who always wears expensive shoes. If both of these missions fail, check out websites that specialize in helping students plan trips, such as:

• StudentCity.com
  • Meaningfultravel.com
  • StudentUniverse.com
  • Travelcuts.com

If you’re willing to skip out on the typical beach vacation, consider visiting another city. Always wanted to visit Chicago? Book it! Is it on your bucket list to go to the top of the Empire State Building? Head to the Big Apple! Also, consider a road trip. Sometimes the college Spring Break isn’t really about where you go or what you do, it’s just about getting some good friends together to do some adventuring. The road trip is a great option for people who don’t have a lot of money and don’t really care too much what you’re doing together. Pool your resources, hit the road and see where it takes you before you’ve got to head back to Beantown.

Have fun!

Shannon is a journalism major at Emerson College, where she is involved in many different organizations ranging from social media and writing to fashion and styling. Originally from New Hampshire, she loves Boston and one day wants to work for a news station in either Boston or New York City.
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.