Sarah Benkendorf Gives Support…Literally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Sarah Benkendorf, a Sophmore WLP major, is bringing Student SPILL to Emerson. Sarah, as well as her SPILL E-board, is really excited to get SPILL up and running. After attending last week’s training session for Student Supporters, I could tell just how excited they all were. This great group of girls is ready to bring on the student support to their fellow Emersonians.

What would you say SPILL is (for those who do not know)?
We’re a confidential, online outlet where students can spill about whatever is bothering them. Then, within twenty four hours, they’ll receive feedback from trained Student Supporters who have had similar experiences. Basically, we’re there to be a friend when you feel like you can’t talk to your own.

How did you hear about SPILL?
I heard about SPILL last spring through an article published on HerCampus.com. The more I read, the more I thought we could use it at Emerson, so I went to their website and nominated our school.

What drew you towards wanting to start a SPILL branch at Emerson?
I wanted to start a branch at Emerson because I feel like it’s very easy to feel alone here. Everyone seems to have it all together all the time, balancing class and work and friends and extracurriculars without breaking a sweat. I’m not saying being super involved is a bad thing; it’s a part of why we’re so successful after college. But I think it makes it hard for people to reach out and admit they don’t have it all together, that they do need help because it seems like they should have their life under control like everyone else.

When I first started at Emerson, I definitely felt that way. I didn’t make friends right away, I felt like I was in the wrong major, and, to top it all off, I spent most of October with a terrible cough that kept me up at night which gave me plenty of time to stress about everything. I made friends by the end of the semester, but it would have been nice to have someone talk to those first couple of months when everything seemed to be falling apart.

What are you most looking forward to now that SPILL is on campus?
I can’t wait for the day I walk around campus and I overhear someone say, “Oh, maybe you should spill about it” or “SPILL really helped me, maybe it could help you, too.” I look forward to the day that SPILL becomes something others tell their friends about because it will show how easy it can be to make a difference.

Why do you think it is important that we have SPILL for Emerson?
I feel like it’s important because it will help make people feel less alone. And any day that someone feels less alone is a good day in my book.

What do you hope comes of SPILL in the next few years?
I hope SPILL becomes a part of the Emerson community, where students can let down their guard and admit that they don’t have it all together and learn that that’s okay. That you don’t need to be so put together all the time.

As the president of SPILL what would you like to tell the Emerson Student body?
I’d like to tell the Emerson community that we’re here for you. When you don’t want to bother your family or your friends, when you think your problems are too small or too trivial, when you can’t go to sleep at night because you keep running through everything in your head, we’ll be there for you. All you have to do is spill.

If you are interested in becoming a SPILL student supporter you can go to a training session this coming Monday at 8 pm in the Multipurpose Room.

If you need to SPILL you can spill here: http://spillnow.com/

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.