Salmon Fishing in The Yemen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Hey there, collegiettes! Looking for a film to tide you over while waiting around for Hunger Games to come out? Check out Salmon Fishing In The Yemen! I know it boasts a questionable title, and based on the trailer, it seems less RomCom-y and more historical-y, but did I mention the adorable Emily Blunt and the charming Ewan McGregor star in this film? They make the perfect dream team and while the movie is heart-warming at times, their faces, accents, and wit are enough to keep the audience captivated. 

Essentially, this film is about an expert in fishery (Ewan McGregor) who is approached by a consultant (Emily Blunt) to help make a sheik’s dream of bringing the sport of fly-fishing into the desert come true. It also tackles the issue of dealing with the death of someone you’ve only just begun to love as well as the topic of failed marriage among other things.  This film doesn’t necessarily fit into a specific category but, as the age-old cliché goes, I laughed, I cried, I swooned over Emily and Ewan’s chemistry. And, of course, the whole thing was set against the beautiful backdrop of Yemen, Scotland, and occasionally Morocco.

I had the honor of attending a Q&A with Emily at the Boston screening and she shared fun stories of being on set with Ewan: “I’m not a huge fan of fishing, when I tried fly-fishing, I accidentally hooked Ewan’s poor dog and he made the most horrible sound!”  Emily also dished about how this based-on-a-true-story flick was a great and humbling experience to be a part of, “My mother was so excited when I got the script because she had already read the book. I had such a good time with this role.” She ended by urging everyone to go out and watch it because it’s “something different.” So, if Emily says to do something, do it! 

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.