Revlon Lip Butter v. Maybelline Baby Lips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter is over and the warm weather is finally here! With the scorching sun drying out your lips, it can be difficult to find a lip product that’s moisturizing but isn’t plain and boring. Maybelline and Revlon have definitely stepped up their game with their new products this year, including Maybelline’s Baby Lips and Revlon’s Colorburst Lip Butters.

From left to right: Revlon Lip Butter: Strawberry Shortcake, Berry Smoothie, Cherry Tarte. Maybelline Baby Lips: Peace Kiss, Pink Punch. 

If you are looking for something that is more like a tinted lip balm, I would recommend buying the Baby Lips. The colors aren’t as opaque, but they are super moisturizing and have SPF 20. They also smell absolutely delicious!

But if you want something with a bit more color, try the Lip Butters. They are more like a hydrating lipstick rather than a tinted lip balm. They are scent-free, which is good if you are sensitive to products with fragrance (or if you hate that plastic lipstick smell). They also have a clear window at the top so you can see the true color before you buy it.

From left to right: Revlon Lip Butter: Strawberry Shortcake, Berry Smoothie, Cherry Tarte.

Strawberry Shortcake Lip Butter. It is an adorable baby pink, which looks awesome with a tan!

Berry Smoothie Lip Butter. It is the perfect “my lips but better” color. 

Cherry Tarte Lip Butter. This is my personal favorite because it gives the effect of a dramatic red lip without being too intense!

Peach Kiss Baby Lips. This one has the least amount of color pay off, but it has beautiful gold flecks which look amazing for the “all natural” look. It also smells like delicious peaches without being too overpowering.

Pink Punch Baby Lips. It reminds me of Barbie hot pink, but it’s still completely wearable for day or night! It smells a bit like pink lemonade…or fruity pebbles. Either way, its smells AMAZING.

Overall, they are both fantastic products that I would highly recommend. The Baby Lips are a bit cheaper (only about 3 bucks), but the Lip Butters are still worth the money (about $5) because of the surprising color pay off. I wouldn’t say there is a definitive winner between the two because they both serve two different purposes. If you want something more on the lipstick end of the spectrum then go for the Lip Butters. But if you want something more like a chapstick then try the Baby Lips. If you can’t decide, then buy both (like me!). 

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.