Professor Lu Ann Reeb: Principles of PR

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When Lu Ann Reeb isn’t busy winning Emmys and defending victims wrongfully-convicted of murder, she’s teaching Emerson students about what she knows best: public relations. We sat down with the professor of Principles of Public Relations and learned that she could teach students a thing or two about social media, and that hard work does, in fact, pay off.

After attending Tulane University, Professor Reeb became a TV news reporter in New Orleans and was an executive producer at WBZ-TV in Boston. Since then, she has co-founded two companies and landed a teaching position at Emerson.

Q: You have your own PR firm, Skyways Communications. How did that begin?

A: I co-founded Skyways Communications with a colleague at WBZ-TV here in Boston. We saw the TV News industry changing and weren’t thrilled with where it was going. Upper management in the TV industry thought of the Internet as a threatening competitor. This was the same attitude that newspapers had about digital media. Many of us thought of it as an opportunity to expand the reach for TV news.

Q: How did you approach this opportunity?

A: I decided to start a new media business, where we created news-style stories for corporate clients in a marketing strategy encompassing online video. My company was on the “early-adopter” phase of that life cycle, which made for a slow beginning to our startup. However, as you know, new media is mainstream now, and therefore the business of creating a marketing/PR strategy with podcasts, online video and social media is growing rapidly.

Q: What was the stickiest or most memorable PR case you’ve worked on?

A: As Executive Producer at WBZ-TV, I was involved in one of the biggest stories in Boston. Joe Salvati was wrongly imprisoned for nearly 30 years for a murder he did not commit. The years of investigative reports, led by reporter Dan Rea, uncovered evidence that proved Salvati’s innocence and led to his freedom. The story resulted in a $101 million civil verdict for wrongful imprisonment. That case now continues for me in the realm of PR, as I now provide Salvati’s attorney, Victor Garo, with assistance in speaking engagements, and the story stays alive.

Q: What’s the best part about teaching PR at Emerson?

A: The students! The interaction with students is invaluable. I learn from them every class, and I’m energized by what I learn. It’s also a way I feel that I can give back in some small way with my professional experience and hopefully create a positive influence by sharing my knowledge transfer to students who may encounter similar real-life scenarios in their careers.

Q: Now, for the good stuff. What was your most memorable Halloween costume?

A: Ha! Peter Pan.

Professor Reeb also co-founded Legal Talk Network, an online media network for professionals in the legal industry.

Photo provided by Lu Ann Reeb.

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.