Prepping for the New York Connection: What Makes Emersonians Stand Out?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’re headed to one of Emerson’s most recommended networking events—the New York Connection—tomorrow, you’ve probably already been thinking about who you’ll meet, what you’ll say, and which blazer you’ll be wearing. Since a positive attitude enhances it all, we decided it’s a good time to remind you what sets Emersonians apart.

“During my time at Emerson, I’ve certainly grown more confident. When you go to a school with such talented and creative students, you need to find a way to stand out, you need to work hard, and you definitely need to be assertive in order to succeed. I’ve learned it pays off to say, ‘I can do this for you, and I can do it well’ with my head held high. I’ve had four different internships while studying at Emerson, and during every interview, I’ve said, ‘I’ll do whatever you need me to do. If I don’t know how to do what you’re asking me to do, I’ll ask you questions, or I’ll figure it out. Bottom line: Everything will get done, it will get done well, and it will get done on time.’ This might not sound like much, but you need to have that confident edge in today’s competitive market. I think Emerson has given me that edge.”
Lauren Landry // Senior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“As Emerson students, we never feel like we have done enough. After four internships, one field-related job, and four years spent filling several different positions on em Magazine, I finally feel like I’m getting there. What I’ve gained in my time at Emerson is not only a resumé I know will support me so much in the coming months, but also an endless drive to search for the next real-world experience, the next opportunity to build on what I already know and find something different to apply to my field. Why? Because that’s what Emerson students do. And when I go back to Connecticut in May, I’m confident anyone who has worked with an Emersonian will know my work ethic. My resumé is just there to confirm it.”
Shana Wickett // Senior // Print & Multimedia Journalism

“At Emerson, students, faculty and alumni pride themselves on being a part of an exclusive national network—the Emerson Mafia. After leaving Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Connecticut, I transferred to Emerson and remember being stunned by the level of ambition in most students. I couldn’t wait to get involved with extracurriculars. Through a previous internship at WERS 88.9 FM and wers.org, well as my current internship for which I’m a global blog analyst, I have learned that networking in-person, or on the Internet, requires confidence that your skills are vital to the success of whomever you’re trying to impress.”
Larissa Green // Senior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“Emerson has given me the resources and skills that I need to be confident during interviews. Because my classes have taught me about the editorial, creative, and marketing aspects of the magazine industry, I feel prepared to throw myself into that fast-paced atmosphere. Through my classes, I’ve had the opportunity to put together a magazine proposal, become proficient in InDesign, and learn about the importance of networking. These skills and experiences have familiarized me with the industry and have given me confidence that I am a great candidate for the internship. Because of this, I know I can go into interviews and simply be myself.”
Marissa Ericson // Junior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“Although I have gained a lot of knowledge from my classes at Emerson, the thing that makes me stand out in an interview is the level of professionalism that Emerson’s extracurriculars host. I’ve been an active part of em Magazine since my freshman year, and I bring along copies to show whenever I have an interview for a job or internship. It has never failed to impress whoever is interviewing me.”
Michelle King // Sophomore // Writing, Literature & Publishing

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.