This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I’m a total foodie. Growing up in the cultural melting pot that is South Florida and in a colorful Hispanic family, I’ve never been deprived of variety when it comes to spices, flavors, and textures in everyday dishes. Other than some classic Latin American dishes, I’m accustomed to having diverse friends that encourage me to try new foods like Jamaican, Vietnamese, and Indian (just to name a few) and add fun twists like vegan or vegetarian food. I understand and am very grateful for the fact that I grew up in a fortunate household that could constantly provide home-cooked meals as well as having the privilege of eating from restaurants on occasion. Quite honestly, there are many days I call it a night and eat a microwaveable pizza or white rice for dinner. However, I have no bigger pet peeve than somebody who claims the label of ‘Picky Eater.’ My love for foods from all over the globe has allowed my taste buds to travel across the world without leaving the comfort of my couch, and without these meals I surely would not be the human I am today. 

It’s easier said than done, of course. Picky eating habits are created in early childhood and those habits were pretty much out of your control. It’s not your fault! Interestingly enough, researchers from Duke Medicine found that moderate levels of selective eating were associated with psychological problems such as anxiety, depression,and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The findings of the study are published in the journal Pediatrics. This information might be alarming to you, but picky eating habits are just that: habits. They can be broken with some hard work and open-minded thinking.

You’re limiting yourself. The chicken tenders and ketchup order puts you in a box. While it might be comforting and appropriate once in a while, this box has opaque, concrete walls and shuts out all the light from the outside. If you have the means to be eating out, you have an opportunity to enjoy a new meal and learn more about the world around you. I like to compare food groups, textures, and dishes to the elements of language; every new ingredient you try is a new word or literary technique that expands your vocabulary.

Cultural awareness. As I mentioned before, food is the best way to travel! You don’t have to pay an airplane ticket or a hotel stay when you order takeout. We live in a very Euro-centric world and are constantly consuming regurgitations of ‘ethnic’ food. While they may be delicious, Taco Bell is not Mexican food and Panda Express is not Chinese food! A good trick I like to use is utilizing Google Maps or Yelp to find small businesses to order from in your area, depending on what food you’re in the mood for. This way, you can use your meals to contribute to the local economy and to gain a wider perspective on the world around you.

Practice makes perfect! There are countless ways to break your eating habits but the only way to do so is by starting small. Google provides some great resources to help you step by step and picky eating is commonly discussed in accessible medical journals. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying the foods you love, even if sometimes that category might be small for whatever reason. 

Anna Arriaga

Emerson '24

Hey! My name's Anna (sometimes Annie) Arriaga and I'm from the pastelito-filled land of Miami, FL. I'm currently studying in Boston, MA at Emerson College, majoring in Business of Creative Enterprises with a minor in Narrative Nonfiction. I'm a food blogger and writer with a particular affinity for all things dessert, Ben & Jerry's and MilkBar being my two go-to's.
Emerson contributor