Oscar-Inspired Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
The Oscars are fast approaching, and it’s always a blast to get some style inspiration from the year’s top films. But with so many period pieces this year, it can be tough to design a vintage look that doesn’t make you look like you stepped out of a history book. Take some tips from Hollywood’s best stylists, and put together a chic ensemble that will be the talk of your Oscar party!

The Help
Channel Emma Stone’s Skeeter Phelan and shake up a 60s-style denim dress with cat’s eye glasses and a cute, floppy hat! Timeless oxfords and a simple tan tote are always in style, and Skeeter would approve of the sweet typewriter necklace.

War Horse
Spielberg’s new classic was filled with dark hues and military uniforms, and the androgynous military look can always carry you through the bleak months before spring in style. A pop of red off-sets the grays, greens, and browns of this look, and the earrings add a touch of whimsy and fun.

The Artist
If you’re looking for a style to emulate the decadence of The Artist, you have the licence to go a little posh with your look. You can keep with the stark black-and-white of the film if you want, but it’d be a shame to miss out on the rich jewel-toned coat and lipstick to make your look really pop!

The Tree of Life
The central dilemma in the Tree of Life is whether to embrace the way of nature or the way of grace, but when it comes to your wardrobe, you can have it all. The soft hues of this outfit will carry you right into spring, and the easy elegance of florals and flats give you a natural grace that never goes out of style.

The Descendants
The Descendants takes place in beautiful Hawaii, serving to remind the hopelessly Boston-bound crowd that warm weather is still months away! But save this easy-breezy ensemble for warmer days to come (or hey, grab a ticket to Hawaii for Spring Break!) and you’ll be the talk of the boardwalk.

Hugo
Hugo was a visual masterpiece, and Chloe Moretz absolutely stole the show with her eye-catching performance and wardrobe. Give your closet a little Parisian-Urban-Explorer flair and don’t be afraid to mix prints – when done right, it’s très chic!

Moneyball
Moneyball is all about taking chances, so don’t be afraid to be a risk-taker when you’re headed out to the ballgame. Ray-bans, fun sparkly shoes, and a bright charm bracelet can make you stand out in a sea of jeans and t-shirts, and they’ll keep you comfy, too!

Midnight in Paris
Midnight in Paris is all about finding a way to mix the old and the new, and this vintage-inspired outfit with modern flair fits right in! The flouncy dress and smart walking flats will take you from thrift shops to Parisian cafes and back again, and the sparkly jewelry will carry this outfit from day to night with ease.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Take a page from Extremely Loud’s Oskar and embrace your inner kid – the fun shorts-and-backpack combo gives an outfit a fun youthful flair, and the smart button-down and modern accessories ensure you don’t look half your age. And if you only take one tip from Oskar, make it this: never forget your notebook!

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.