Life > High School

An Open Letter to High School Seniors from a College Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Dear high school seniors,

Here you finally are. It’s hard to imagine that you were once tiny five year-olds learning the alphabet and walking in single-file lines down the narrow school hallways. In the blink of an eye, you will soon be walking across the stage, shaking your principal’s hand as he or she hands you your diploma and your family cheers from the stands. And before you know it, you’ll be standing on your college’s campus, waiting to start a new chapter in your life.

You may be excited to get out of high school and start college, and every feeling you have is completely valid. But here are some pieces of advice I have to give you as a college freshman to enjoy every last bit of your time in high school. You’re probably stressing about college applications right now. I was too—I remember every last bit of nervousness I had before pressing the submit button on Common App. All I have to say is: take it easy. Tour every college that interests you, and look into where you see yourself living for the next four years. Think about what you want to accomplish, what you want out of your college experience, and how you want your college experience to be different than anything you have ever experienced.

With that in mind, don’t hesitate to reach out and ask for advice. If you have contact with friends already in college, don’t be afraid to ask them about their college experiences so far. Research different programs in different schools and see what interests you and what you see yourself doing. If you need to (and I highly suggest this), call the school and ask them any questions you have about them and the programs they offer.  In state or out of state? Small college or big university? Urban or rural environment? Explore different options and figure out what is best for you, and you only.

Apply for as many scholarships as you can. Whether they come directly from your school or they come from (many) scholarship websites, you never know your chances of getting money that could be used to pay for tuition. There have been instances where my school had scholarships that only one person applied for. I suggest dedicating one weekend to apply to scholarships—every little bit of money counts.

Trust the process. Things may not go your way. Your number one college may not accept you. You may contemplate about changing your major. You may end up going to a college that you never thought of going to, but decided to give it a chance. It sounds cheesy, but everything happens for a reason. You will end up where you are supposed to be in the long run, and it will be the happiest moment in your life.

It’s your last year in high school, so why not end it with a bang? Take opportunities that you haven’t taken in the past three years. Join extracurriculars that you haven’t joined but have always been interested in. Go see (or join) theatre productions your school puts on. Participate in creative outlets that you haven’t before but have always wanted to. Go support your school teams and go cheer at the sports games.

That being said, put yourself first, especially during your senior year. Catch up on sleep, stop worrying about tomorrow’s quiz that you didn’t study for, and goodness gracious, DON’T EVER SKIP A MEAL. It’s your last year of high school, and you should never have to sacrifice your physical or mental health for a simple grade that doesn’t matter nearly as much as you.

Enjoy every single moment you have with your family and friends. Remember, the next time you would see them after summer break can be as far as winter break. Although you may have fights or disagreements, they are still there for you when times are tough, especially during college application season. Treasure every moment and never take anything for granted.

From football games to homecoming to prom to graduation, it’s so easy to trudge through to the end when you finally toss your cap (and stop worrying about AP classes and final exams). Then you start having senior nights for all of your sports and extracurriculars. You have the last concert of the year. You take your final bow on the stage and leave your mark as an eternal member of your high school’s theatre program. You get sentimental when you see everybody’s college gear on May 1, aka “Decision Day.” And maybe you begin to appreciate the time you have left with all of your friends and family.

There is no doubt that college will be one of the best parts of your life. But the memories you make in high school and the friends you have made along the way are unforgettable. You only go through high school once in your life, so enjoy it while you have it. Take in every moment, and cherish it until you have to say goodbye.

Good luck,

A college freshman  

Marieska Luzada is a sophomore at Emerson College at Boston, MA majoring in journalism and minoring in publishing. Besides writing for HerCampus, you can find her drafting an a capella arrangement, drinking an iced matcha latte, reading a young adult contemporary, or listening to Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks.
Emerson contributor