This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Since we all have a habit of romanticising our day-to-day lives, why not put some music behind it! Here are the songs I use to add some spice to an otherwise pretty average day. 

1. “Ratism” by John Murphy from The Suicide Squad soundtrack (2021)

Getting into the college of your dreams, cutting off a toxic person, or finally getting asked out by your crush could be a few scenarios to remind you of this masterpiece. This song represents a turning point in the plot of your life. Whether it’s coming to an impactful realization, or finding a place where you belong, “Ratism” has an angelic chorus mixed with an electric guitar that can  make you  forget all your  troubles and leave you at full peace. 

1. “Simple Song” by The Shins

If you need an uplifting tune to start your day, or something to listen to on the T-ride home, this is the song for you. I imagine this song would not play at a huge pivotal point in a movie, so if you need a song to make you feel like the main character on a normal day, I highly recommend this one. 

1. “Supermassive Black Hole” by Muse

Someone just betrayed you and you’re plotting revenge. This can only go one way: you succeed. Something about the grunge guitars and slow drum beat instills a wave of confidence and determination in me. This song never fails to bring out your villain arc.  

1. “Where the Sidewalk Ends” by Sidney Gish

This song has such an uplifting tone for a classic walk in the park as you casually run into close friends, or see birds flying in the sky. This song makes me feel like I have no worries or cares in the world and everything is happy and alive. 

1. “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) – 2018 Remaster” by Kate Bush

Feeling nostalgic? I know I am. There are so many things I wish I could say to so many people, and this song perfectly captures that feeling. I highly recommend listening to this one late at night walking outside for a perfect main character moment. 

1. “Coloratura” by Coldplay

Stare at the sky for 10 minutes and do nothing. I dare you. This song makes time feel infinite. The soft piano and meaningful lyrics make the colors around me brighter, the moments worth remembering, and life more special. This slow song is great for sitting and doing nothing while your mind wanders. 

1. “Xanadu” by Olivia Newton-John

This upbeat musical number will make your heart sing. Throwing this song on at any moment can make the space you’re in feel like paradise. 

Overall, it’s up to you to choose what does and does not strike you as “main character anthems,” but I hope these suggestions will help you in your journey!

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Albahary and I am a sophomore Visual Media Arts Major at Emerson College! This is my first year being a part of Her Campus, however, I was a proud member of my school's newspaper in High School. Some of my interests include: acting, writing, directing, and singing.