Movie Review: The Vow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you are in the mood for an average, dramatic romance The Vow is the perfect movie for you. Rachel McAdams has won our hearts over in many other romance movies as the leading lady and Channing Tatum has been a heart-throb ever since She’s the Man; but these two could not pull it off in The Vow. Instead of the more serious heart wrenching stories McAdams has given us in the past, her role in The Vow was not as emotional as it could have been. She could not remember who her husband was but yet it was not really all that sad. Tatum was not right for the role of Leo, instead his mediocre acting was not up to par for this serious character.

The movie was not an entire bust though. There were some very cheesy lines and scenes that got a great deal of laughter from the audience despite the fact that The Vow is not a romantic comedy. However, knowing that the film was based on a true story made the whole movie a little better. The audience is not able to fall in love with the characters like Paige (McAdams’ character) since the movie opens with the car crash scene. Paige suffers a brain trauma and later wakes up a different person. The audience is not as sad as they could have been if they knew who she had been before.

**SPOILER ALERT!**

The movie is also called The Vow but neither Paige nor Leo keeps theirs. They end up getting a divorce and living separately until Paige realizes he did love her and she goes back to Leo. This is also how the movie ends with Leo and Paige walking together in the snow to eat at a new restaurant they have never been to before together.

If you are looking for a movie to see on Valentine’s day with someone special this will do just fine.

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.