This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Undergraduate Students for Publishing is one of the most sought out organizations for any Writing, Literature and Publishing major at Emerson College. Only a select group of the very best WLPs get to sit on the executive board and give students a chance to be published authors. Carl Lavigne is part of that small group. He has been in Pub Club since his freshman year, and he is far from ready to step away from such an amazing project. I decided to ask him a few questions about this year’s book launch, and how his experience with Pub Club has affected his life at Emerson and beyond. 

Her Campus at Emerson: How has your experience with Pub Club been (in all your various positions)?

Carl Lavigne: Pub Club has been like a four-year-long internship for me. I’ve gotten to sample a lot of aspects of book publishing. It’s definitely sharpened my editorial abilities and helped me figure out how working in publishing is something I really want to do. I want to support writers, and Pub Club has shown me so many ways I can do that.

HCE: What are you most excited about with the upcoming book launch in December?

CL: This year I’m really excited for Julio Villegas to read from his collection “Memories of an Old World.” It’s such a powerful and relevant work, because it tackles issues of colonialism, racism and immigration. It is powerfully political, but also extremely personal and truly a joy to read. Julio is also just such an emotive and funny guy. It will be so much fun to hear him perform.

HCE: What do you think of the two manuscripts this year?

CL: The manuscripts this year, in my opinion, are such a natural growth to Wilde Press’ list. They are both extremely literary, relevant and moving works. They are serious books that a small professional press ought to be proud of. They tell wonderful stories and invite readers to think differently.

HCE: What’s next for Carl Lavigne?

CL: I’m going to spend at least a year outside of academia after graduation, likely working in publishing in Boston. I would like to get an MFA or a PhD, but that is for the further future.

We certainly wish Carl luck on his literary quest!

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor