Love Triangles: Why Hunger Games is NOT Twilight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Now that The Hunger Games has officially taken over the world, it’s time to address some issues. It’s already been established that although it’s considered Young Adult fiction, there is nothing innocent or light about the subject matter. Another issue is the label that Hunger Games is “the next Twilight.” Let’s see, dystopian future, advanced technology, complex action-packed plots, violence, and character development? Doesn’t sound much like the supernatural romance of Forks, WA. Except of course for the love triangle. That is possibly their one link. While Twilight’s waifish Bella falters between loving both vampire Edward and werewolf Jacob, Hunger’s tough Katniss drifts indifferently between the affections of fellow tribute Peeta and old friend Gale. But you can’t simply call them alike because they have a love triangle. Under that same criteria, Twilight is also just like War and Peace. Sure.

Of course I’m not dissing love triangles. Whether it’s two girls competing for the affection of a guy or, more often, two guys vying for a girl the love triangle is a legendary plot device. This is especially true in television and movies because it’s a win-win for the viewer and the writer. The viewer gets a chance to become emotionally invested in one part of the triangle, making it their personal mission to fight for that pairing. They can find community in people who agree with them and a friendly rivalry with those invested in the opposite side of the triangle. It’s also a win for the writers, who can use competing affections to bring out different side of their characters – oh, and drag out the decision FOREVER. But when the final coupling finally happens, and it’s the one you’ve been waiting for, there’s nothing quite like it. It’s probably a testament to the way TV and movies affect our lives and play on our emotions.

I adore love triangles, and I’m a totally shipper (Delena forever!), but not all are created equal. And neither is Twilight and The Hunger Games.

Here are some of the most famous love triangles of movie and TV. The ones that really got shipper flags flying. The ones that didn’t make it (Titanic comes up a lot) were due to the fact that I believe a love triangle only exists when viewers truly root for both pairings – I mean, was anyone rooting against Jack and Kate? Let’s see what team you’re on for these shapely groupings.

1. Source: Twilight book and movie series
Object of Affection: Bella Swan
Candidates: Edward Cullen, Jacob Black
Impact: Maybe the source of the most passionate shippers of all time, creating the Team Edward/Team Jacob phenomenon. Say what you will about Twilight, but these pairings sure got people hot and bothered.

2. Source: Bridget Jones’ Diary book and movie series
Object of Affection: Bridget Jones
Candidates: Mark Darcy, Daniel Cleaver
Impact: This story was based on the Elizabeth Bennet/Darcy/Wickham triangle from Pride and Prejudice. Which basically invented romance. And while it was clear Bridget and Mark should be together instead of the puckish, philandering Daniel – c’mon, he was played by Hugh Grant!

3. Source: The Vampire Diaries books and TV series
Object of Affection: Elena Gilbert
Candidates: Stefan Salvatore, Damon Salvatore
Impact: Delena fans everywhere got their wish when Elena and Damon finally kissed after three seasons of drawn-out glances. The event became a trending topic on Twitter and a source of ire for Stelena fans, who hoped Elena gets back with her ex – Damon’s brother.

4. Source: Lost TV show
Object of Affection: Kate Austin
Candidates: Jack Shepard, James Sawyer
Impact: The Internet is spinning with video tributes of the stolen moments between these couples, who somehow found time for affection on that crazy island. While Kate and Jack seemed to be endgame, Sawyer put up a damn sexy fight.

5. Source:Casablanca movie
Object of Affection: Ilsa Lund
Candidates: Rick Blaine, Victor Laszlo
Impact: The bitterness, the memories, the obstacles. So much went in to the epic story of Ilsa, Rick and Victor. And while you maybe screamed for her to not get on the plane, deep down you knew who she had to be with. Ah, but they’ll always have Paris.

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.