This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Kyler Schelling, a Senior Film Production Major is in the works creating his first ever television series. The show, entitled “Buskers”, follows the life of a young executive who is fired from his cushy job, dumped by his girlfriend, and kicked out of his apartment in the span of five minutes. He turns to the world of street performance as a means to survive and relive a childhood dream.

What makes Buskers stand apart from other Emerson series?

I think Buskers stands apart from other Emerson series and other series as a whole because of its musical component. The music is going to play a large role with the characters, the plot, and the general tone of the series. Although all of the characters in the show are vastly different they are drawn together by their common love of music and street performance.

What inspired you to create this show?

I wish I had some amazing story about how I always wanted to make a show about buskers or that I myself am a busker, but that’s not the case. I think the root of this whole project came from walking through the common everyday. I’d see all kinds of people, tourists, students, young professionals, old professionals, homeless people, and performers. After a while, I just couldn’t ignore the incredible stories that could be told though the lives of these people who spend the majority of their time on the street performing and interacting with all the people Boston has to offer.

Has the experience of creating an entire television show from the ground up been harder than you expected?

I wouldn’t say it’s been harder than I expected because I expected creating a show to be a lot of work. I have an amazing cast and crew though so everything has really been moving along smoothly and efficiently. The work of my DP, Brian Lynch, and the producers, Janine Moody and Pamela Mora, along with so many other great people, I wish I could name them all, has really made this process successful so far.

I’ve heard, Kyler, that you’re working on Buskers in a whole variety of positions, what are you doing and how are you able to balance them out?

I wrote the pilot so I guess you can say I created the show. I’m also directing it, as well as playing the role of Rusty Nails. Now that I’m fairly confident with the state of the script, I can remove the writer’s hat and put on the director’s hat. I’ve never directed anything that I’ve also acted in, but I’m excited for the experience. The only way I feel comfortable doing this is because I have a strong cast and crew that I can rely on.

When and where will it be premiering?

Right now the goal is to have a rough cut finished in time for the L.A. Showcase deadline. In terms of the premier, we are still weighing all our options. I would definitely like to have a screening in Boston and maybe one in my hometown’s local theater. We shall see.

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.