Culture > Digital

How TikTok Motivated Me to Read More and Why You Should Start Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Those who are familiar with the social media app, TikTok, know that there are “sides” to the For You Page (FYP). This is a page of videos curated to your interests based on the app’s algorithm. There’s FoodTok, FilmTok, AstrologyTok, and several more. You may have heard of BookTok. These are videos on the app where users share book recommendations, reviews, and other book related content. This side of TikTok became so popular with users that you’ll find a section in Barnes and Noble called “BookTok”. This is where readers can find the well-known books circulating the app. 

At the start of 2021 I made a goal for myself to dedicate more time to reading. I wanted to spend less time on my phone and laptop consuming information that wasn’t serving any purpose, in other words hours of mindless scrolling. I also wanted to rediscover my love for reading that I had when I was younger. With so much academic reading in high school and college, leisurely reading just wasn’t the same. Another problem was not knowing what to read, or not having a genuine interest in books I started. 

Users sharing their passion for books and reading influenced me enough to want to read more. I would watch a TikTok with someone marveling about how great this book is, and then read the comment section to find thousands of others sharing their thoughts about the story. I would keep a list of books that caught my attention, then order them online or pick them up at a bookstore.  

With BookTok, my passion for reading revitalized. I genuinely looked forward to learning again through books. I couldn’t wait to turn the last page of a book, so I could participate and engage with the huge community of other readers through TikTok. Reading a book is much more interesting when you get to listen to others’ ideas and thoughts. It’s rewarding to engage in conversation about a subject you spent hours of time reading. 

I’ve read fifteen books so far this year, the majority of which I’ve found through this online community of readers. If you’re not on the app, walk into Barnes and Noble or search up books to read that catch your interest. Even if you’re not a big fan of reading, you never know what you might learn by reading just one book this year. Find a story that intrigues you or a subject matter you want to learn more about and all you have to do is start reading. 

With social media apps and streaming platforms consuming much of our attention, it’s important that we create balance in our life. If you’re someone who knows they spend too much time on your phone or in front of your laptop, try picking up a book instead. 

TikTok Book Recommendations

The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter-and How to Make the Most of Them Now by Meg Jay, PhD

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

The Mountain Is You: Transforming Self-Sabotage into Self-Mastery by Brianna Weist

Sara is a third-year Visual and Media Arts Major at Emerson College. Raised in Port Chester, NY she spends most of her time in her favorite city in the world: New York. She uses writing as a creative and healing outlet, writing about her passion for music with concert/album reviews, film and photography, and discovery and personal growth.