freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Recover From a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Breakups are never easy. Take it from me; I’m going through one right now and understand the ups and downs that you are going through from day to day, but there are a few ways to ease the pain.

1. Exercise

Nothing is better therapy than working out. Trust me, it’s much better than eating Ben and Jerry’s by yourself. It doesn’t mean you have to be hardcore pumping iron, but a little exercise, whether it’s a walk, soul cycle or even yoga will allow you to release your emotions in a positive and healthy way. 

2. Spend time with friends and family

The worst part of a breakup is feeling alone. There will always be the moments when you wish you had your ex, just to keep you company. Instead of jumping to another guy, which could get you hurt too soon, spend some time with friends and family. If you surround yourself with those that truly love and support you, you will feel so much better mentally and physically. They are the ones that will always be there for you.

3. Splurge a little

Obviously retail therapy doesn’t heal anything, especially your wallet, but it can be a time for you to do something for yourself. Go out and buy yourself a little something. Whether it’s chocolate, clothing, shoes or makeup, something little can go a long way. It will give you that little extra boost of independence and make you look forward to something.

4. Listen to yourself

The hardest thing to do during a breakup is fulfill your own needs. You are constantly thinking of the other person’s feelings and not your own, but now is the time to be selfish. You are the only one who knows what you need. Take some time and focus solely on you. It’ll give you the chance to reflect and heal, seeing what you truly need in order to get over this difficult time. 

You’ll cry for a bit, feel happy, then cry some more, but know that this too shall pass. People will come and go in our lives, but it’s how we cope that makes us stronger. Breakups are just one bump in the road that makes us an even greater individual.

Emerson contributor