How to Find a Summer Job via Twitter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Even though it doesn’t feel or look like it in Boston, summer will be here before you know it, and for many collegiettes, that means it’s time to start the job and internship hunt. While the task may seem daunting at first, there are plenty of ways you can find a job you’ll love in a more unconventional manner: through Twitter. Below are a few tips to help you find an amazing gig this summer!

1. Update your profile: Before you even begin the next four steps, this is definitely the most important. First impressions are super important, and just because they’re not in person doesn’t make them any less valuable. Your profile photo on Twitter should be a nice headshot or other photo of you and your bio should read something along the lines of: ‘Student at Emerson College, Blogger at Her Campus Emerson’ along with a fun fact!
  2. Tweet Strategically: You know the old phrase ‘you are what you eat’? Well, you’re also what you tweet. Make sure to keep it clean and professional on twitter, because this could be the first time a company is introduced to you. Create meaningful content that people will want to get involved with and reply to. But remember to not be overly professional, you can still show your personality through funny anecdotes and day-to-day pictures.
  3. Industry Chats: Twitter chats are held all day every day by a variety of organizations. Start searching and you’re sure to find one that you’d be interested in joining. Tweet along with the designated hashtag and respond to others involved.
  4. Follow Strategically: Follow young professionals within the company you’re interested in and get interactive. This will show them that you have a genuine interest in working alongside them.
  5. Direct Contact: Hopefully after all these steps are complete and you have begun to curate your profile, you will have the confidence to set up a meeting with a new connection through Twitter. Propose a coffee date to talk about your options within their company. 

Remember, just as you’re searching for a job or internship, companies are looking to hire and will turn to Twitter as well, so be proactive! Good luck!

Hey Collegiettes! I'm Jacqueline a senior at Emerson College. I'm a Journalism major and Political Communications minor at Emerson with hopes of working in freelance journalism with a focus in fitness and beauty! I'm a beauty blogger and a member of the InfluenceHer Collective, the Campus Correspondant for Her Campus at Emerson, am a High School Ambassador Advisor, and interned with Her Campus as a Blogger Network Management Intern in summer 2015.
Emerson contributor