How to Decorate Your Dorm for Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Thanksgiving has come and gone, which means that it’s time to kick up the Christmas spirit! The Christmas season can feel less exciting when you’re away at college, but some simple decorations in your dorm can make a huge difference in your holiday cheer. Here are some ways to make use of classic Christmas decorations in your home away from home.

1. Lights and garland

Christmas lights are my go-to decoration. My suite was able to pool our decorations together to get enough lights to string around our entire hallway. That might be a little excessive for you, but lights still look beautiful draped in front of windows, your hallway mirror, or the walls near your bed. If you prefer, garland can also be used in each of these places. Either way, decorating these spots will definitely add some extra sparkle to your dorm.

2. Mini Christmas tree

You can’t chop down a real tree for your dorm, but a mini tree is an adorable addition to your space. Some give off the more realistic vibe, or you can go off the board and get a fun-colored one. You can easily find a strand of lights, an assortment of small ornaments, and a little star to make it just like home.

3. Window stickers

These jelly-like stickers are a fun way to spruce up any glass items in your dorm. They can go on your mirrors or windows, and there’s a bunch of seasonal options so you can just switch them out with new ones after Christmas is over.

4. Tabletop accessories

There are tons of cute small decorations that can add new life to your desk, table, or counter. My suite’s favorite is this light-up snowman, which was a cheap find that still looks adorable.

5. Signs

Christmas signs make any dorm room feel more like a home. You can get a hanging one to put on a Command hook, or a stand-alone that can be hung with Command strips or left standing on a table.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor