Halloween Costumes Right From Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s October, which means its time to think of a Halloween costume. Don’t make it so hard for your self this year, there are many things you could find in your closet that could make a great if not the best Halloween costumes. From a black dress, to striped shirts, to an umbrella are all great pieces that you could wear to a Halloween party! Below there are some great ways to wear clothes right from your closet and instantly become a character.

The Cowgirl look is something you can easily find in your closet. Throw on a pair of jeans, a plaid shirt, and cowboy boots! If you want to accessorize it a bit more add the hat and a pair of fake guns.

The Morton Salt is a product used by many of us but if you could remember the label you know who the Morton Salt Umbrella girl is. This is a fun costume that could be easily put together by throwing on a yellow dress, some black flats, and an umbrella and your good to go.

Frida Kahlo is a well-known Mexican artist who is very identifiable. Throw on a embroidered shirt with gold accessories and colorful shal. Don’t forget to throw on a couple of flowers or a flowered headband with some braids and you’ve got it.

Elphaba is always correlated with Halloween. I think this is such a easy and great costume to wear. With a black dress and black coat and some green face paint is a fast and is Halloween themed costume. If you want to add some accessories add the witch hat and a broom.

Holly Golightly is a girl’s dream. Throw a little black dress, some kitten black heels, some pearls, a crown, some black gloves and some great shades will complete the glamorous look. If you want to make it fun go to Dunkin Donuts and make sure you grab a coffee and breakfast muffin, and work your way to Tiffany’s.

Mary Poppins is your classic Disney outfit. Throw on a tuxedo shirt (or button down) with a black skirt, a red bow tie, high black heels, a doctor bag, and an umbrella. Some accessories that will go well are a top hat (don’t remember to add some feathers or small flowers), a doctor bag, and some little white gloves. If you really want to stand out with your outfit don’t forget to learn supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Waldo is an outfit that anyone could put together. Throw some jeans, a red-stripped shirt, some booties, a cane and some black-framed glasses. Everyone will finally be able to find Waldo!

Rosie the Riveter is a costume that is empowering to every woman. Throw on a denim shirt, some jeans, a red scarf or bandana, and some red lipstick, and don’t forget to say we can do it!

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.