This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Let’s face it, the way your skin looks is often a contributing factor that can make or break your day. A clear and glowing complexion is something that we all try to achieve, but it isn’t always easy. Having dealt with acne and uneven skin myself, it is safe to say that I have had my fair share of trial and errors with skincare. After years of testing nearly every acne solution product and regime out there, I have finally found a routine that has aided in clearing up my skin and I hope it can help all of you too!

1. Always remove your makeup before bed

Leaving your makeup on before bed can often be tempting when exhaustion hits and you want nothing more than to go to sleep. But it is one of the most important elements of clearing up your skin, so if nothing else, wash your face!

2. Use micellar water every day

Recently, I have added micellar water into my routine and let me tell you, it has done wonders for my skin. I use this in the morning right before I put my makeup on, and at night before I wash my face. It really removes any dirt and impurities that may be on your face without drying out your skin!

3. Exfoliate at least three times a week

For me personally, I exfoliate every day because I feel it has been very effective in clearing up my blemishes! But, everyone’s skin is different so exfoliate as often as you feel your skin needs it. In addition to this, I specifically recommend the St. Ives blemish control apricot scrub. Not only does it help get rid of acne because of the salicylic acid that the scrub contains, but the consistency of the scrub is also amazing. It is not too abrasive but also not too gentle, it is right in between!

4. Use a face mask weekly

What is better than taking some time for yourself to chill out with a face mask on and catch up on some Netflix shows? It is a guilty pleasure that you no longer have to feel bad about doing because it is actually highly beneficial to use a face mask at least once a week. Especially during the colder months when skin is lacking moisture, a face mask will quench your skin with the moisture it needs to look fresh and glowing. My favorite is the animal dragon soothing mask by SNP. Not only is it highly effective, but it is cute and fun to wear too!

5. Use Neosporin on your face

My last tip (and probably the best kept skincare secret out there) is Neosporin. It is commonly used on cuts and scrapes but it works wonders on the everyday blemish. Just put this onto any imperfections you may have right before bed and when you wake up your blemish will be gone!

Emerson contributor