The Girl Boss Playlist: 10 Songs to Make You Feel Empowered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Listening to a playlist of songs by powerful women is a uniquely empowering experience. Nothing makes me feel more confident than having a jam session to my favorite female artists as I’m getting ready for the day. Here are ten of my favorite songs by women in a variety of genres that celebrate independence, feminism, and self-love.

1. “Screwed” by Janelle Monáe ft. Zoë Kravitz

Lyric spotlight: “Everything is sex / Except sex, which is power / You know power is just sex / Now ask yourself who’s screwing you”

2. “Primadonna” by MARINA

Lyric spotlight: “Got you wrapped around my finger, babe / You can count on me to misbehave”

3. “NASA” by Ariana Grande

Lyric spotlight: “You don’t wanna leave me, but I’m tryna self-discover / Keep me in your orbit and you know you’ll drag me under”

4. “Wifey” by Qveen Herby

Lyric spotlight: “These hips are a work of art / And if you don’t see that, death do us part”

5. “Flawless Remix” by Beyoncé ft. Nicki Minaj

Lyric spotlight: “We flawless, ladies tell ‘em / Say ‘I look so good tonight’”

6. “Rich Girl Mood” by Dounia ft. Kehlani

Lyric spotlight: “I’m on my rich girl mood, what do rich girls do? / They toastin’ on cloud 9, now that’s a rich girl view”

7. “Juice” by Lizzo

Lyric spotlight: “Ain’t my fault that I’m out here makin’ news / I’m the pudding in the proof / Gotta blame it on my juice”

8. “A Living Human Girl” by The Regrettes

Lyric spotlight: “I’m not being bossy, I’m saying how I feel / And I’m not a bitch for stating what is real”

9. “Bad Girls” by M.I.A.

Lyric spotlight: “Live fast, die young, bad girls do it well / My chain hits my chest when I’m banging on the dashboard / My chain hits my chest when I’m banging on the radio”

10. “Venus” by Lady Gaga

Lyric spotlight: “I can’t help the way I’m feeling / Goddess of love, please take me to your leader / I can’t help, I keep on dancing”

You can find my full playlist of favorites on Spotify!

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor