This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Although we all have our favorite uber-popular musicians, there are often tons of incredibly talented yet lesser-known artists who deserve more recognition. Like many people, I listen to a wide mix of genres and artists, and, in my search for great music, these are a few of the underrated musicians whose music I’ve really enjoyed.

1. Lizzo — Lizzo consistently creates some of the most joyful music I’ve ever heard. She’s talented in so many genres of music, like pop, rap, and hip-hop, and she’s also an incredible flutist to boot. Not only is she an amazing artist, she’s also a role model for young people, promoting body positivity and self-love. She deserves so much love for her stellar music and dazzling personality. (Favorite song: “Juice”)

2. Maggie Rogers — Ever since bursting onto the music scene in 2016 when her song “Alaska” impressed Pharrell Williams during a master class at NYU, Maggie Rogers has garnered comparisons to music icons spanning decades, from Stevie Nicks to Alanis Morissette to Florence Welch. It’s my belief, however, that Maggie Rogers is a singular talent, making gorgeous folk-pop music and doing it all with a great sense of humor and amazing style. (Favorite song: “Burning”)

3. Cub Sport — Truth be told, I’ve only listened to Cub Sport’s latest album, but it’s a dreamy and deeply personal indie-pop masterpiece. The Australian group is so open and honest with their fans, and their music is truly something special. Plus, two of the band members, lead singer Tim Nelson and keyboardist Sam “Bolan” Netterfield recently got married after Australia legalized same-sex marriage, which is amazing! Good for them! (Favorite song: “Video”)

4. Lucy Dacus — Lucy Dacus is one of the most talked-about figures in the indie rock scene right now. Not only has she released two highly successful solo albums, she’s also a member of the supergroup boygenius with fellow indie rock artists Phoebe Bridgers and Julien Baker. She’s a master of emotional gut-punches and an incredible songwriter, and she also replied to my Tweet once, which I’m still pretty excited about a week later. (Favorite song: “Body to Flame”)

Annie Rinaldi

Emerson '22

a
Emerson contributor