This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Curls and waves add volume and bring out the many colors in your hair. There are curls and waves for every occasion and every look: ringlets and big curls for fancy parties, beachy waves for a day at the ocean, big volume curls to go with the bombshell look, and slight waves for a boho look. Here are five ways to create the kind of waves you want!

1.  Curling Iron/Wand: This is a classic technique and easily the most versatile, as there are numerous different shapes and sizes of irons out there. A classic curling iron with a clip (or even without one, known as a rod or wand) will create classic curls, the size depending on how big the barrel is. You can also find spiral irons with ridges and/or barrel sizes that start large and get thinner towards the tip of the barrel, as well as double or triple barrel irons, perfect for creating beachy, flowy waves.

Tip: Always remember to use a heat protectant on your hair before using an iron or wand!

2.  Sock Bun: This is one of this simplest ways to create waves as it takes only minutes to do, requires no heat and little product, and it works beautifully! A sock bun is created, well, from a sock, and looks great on its own (Check out how to make a sock bun at http://www.weddingchicks.com/2012/04/07/diy-sock-bun/). But this time, use it overnight for curls! Here’s how:

1.  Start with damp hair (you’ll want it to dry overnight, so not too wet) and put it in a high ponytail. Secure it with a hair tie.

2.  Hold your ponytail up and start with the sock at the end of it. Carefully begin to roll the sock down your ponytail, spreading your hair evenly over the sock.

3.  When the sock reaches the base of your ponytail, you shouldn’t be able to see it, as it should be covered with the hair from your ponytail.

4.  The bun should be taught and feel secure, but you may add bobby pins or spray if you feel it is necessary.

5.  Go to sleep as you normally would, wake up, and roll the sock out of your hair. You should be left with lovely, soft waves!

Tip: The tighter you roll your hair on to the sock, the curlier your hair will be in the morning!

3.  Braids: Braids are another easy, heat-free way to make waves and especially better for girls with superfine hair. If your looking for light, natural-looking waves, these loose braids are the way to go!

Apply a light mousse from the roots of your hair to about the middle – this dampens your hair enough for it to stay, but not enough for it to be heavy and lanky. Braid your hair as you normally would. But here’s the trick: when you’re done braiding, tie the ends and pull each braid apart – just enough to loosen them a little. This way, it will look loose and natural rather than forced and crimped. Either blow-dry the braids or sleep with them in, and carefully take them out in the morning! Voila – easy, breezy, soft waves!

Tip: Different braids will give you different waves! For tighter and more defined waves, tightly braid your hair in many small sections. For a looser look, divide your hair into larger sections. You can also experiment with french braids, upside-down braids, and fishtail braids!

4.  Curlers/Rollers: Okay, so covering your hair in rollers may make you feel like your grandmother, but it’s a great way to get classic curls overnight. I recommend foam as opposed to plastic curlers – the foam ones are softer and don’t pull as much. Get a section of hair, place the roller at the bottom, and roll it up to your roots. Do this to the whole head, spray it with hair spray, and get to bed. In the morning, carefully undo all the rollers and give your hair a good shake. You may have to comb through with your fingers to loosen the curls up. Ta da, classic curls!

Tip: Most rollers come with some way to secure it at your roots, but bobby pins and clips will ensure that they don’t come out during the night!

5.  Flat Iron: If you have naturally wild hair, this is the way to go! If you need a hair straightener to tame your hair, you can use the same one to wave it. Start with your straightened hair and apply a light mousse.

1.  Start at the top by your roots. Take a section of hair (as you normally would to straighten it) and clamp and twist the flat iron 180 degrees. While you’re clamping and twisting, make sure to hold the ends of the section away from your face and the flat iron.   Holding the sections away from your face is what creates the waves instead of straightening!

2.  Move the iron down the section and clamp and twist 180 degrees in the opposite direction than the first clamp and twist. Again, Make sure to hold the ends of the section away.

3.  Continue down to the end of the section and all the way around your head.

Tip: Use paste at the roots and shake to give your

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop