Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Finding Love in Lockdown: Dating Apps and New Stigma Around Being Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Cuffing Season: the period from October to Valentine’s Day where the pressure increases to be in a relationship. Love and affection act as the heat source during the colder months, while loneliness and detachment make us feel every inch of the cold. Plenty of Fish’s 2019 Pressure Points study examined that 43% of singles view the romantic holiday as the most pressure-filled holiday of the year, with one in five people wishing the holiday didn’t exist. The Internet and social media project unrealistic relationship standards for singles as well as couples. But has a global pandemic cured the stigma and expectations of the “relationship status?” 

Dating Life In COVID

Woman in front of laptop with mask on
Photo by Edward Jenner from Pexels

For the past ten months, most of us resigned to loneliness and boredom as everyday acquaintances of the quarantine lifestyle. Going out to movies or restaurants with friends and partners was out the window to “stay safe.” Now we rely on technology to fill the void of time, isolation, and intimacy. Relationships are now as easily accessible as an item on Amazon in this new age of dating apps. According to Apptopia, not only was there no drop in the use of dating apps where strangers could meet strangers (violating CDC guidelines), but also a spike during the pandemic.

• Match.com increased by 21%

• OkCupid increased by 21%; 

• Bumble increased by 16%. 

Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Most dating apps expected a decrease in consumption, but the numbers kept rising along with people’s desire to connect. Even though these connections would ultimately lead to an actual physical meeting, it turns out that virtual dating amid a pandemic has its benefits. The dating app Hinge released the data that people are becoming “more intentional about dating.” Over quarantine, people had the time to reflect on who they are and what they want. 

• 45% of Hinge users believe that they developed healthier dating habits during the pandemic. 

• 63% of people on Match.com reported in the Singles in America study that users are focused on developing strong connections with their new partners.

•  70% of Match.com users are more upfront and honest. 

Virtual dating is the new health-conscious and self-conscious. The typical random hookups from dating apps not only risk your safety, but also your ability to find authentic relationships. People are less focused on playing the field and more focused on finding “the one.” People get to know one another for an extensive period online before meeting up in-person. Meaningless hookups and “date hopping” was so last cuffing season. People will take the risk of meeting others if they feel like this person is worth it. 

Staying Single In COVID

Girl sad at night
Photo by Garon Piceli from Pexels

Dating apps have gone up, but there is still love for the single pringles out there (myself included). Shame and pity should no longer be associated with being single during this unprecedented era. Those who are single are protecting themselves and their families, preventing the pressure and scrutiny from family members to find a partner for the holidays. 

Still, being single in the age of isolation can be difficult, especially during romantic holidays. But for those of you who “followed the rules” and have indeed committed to spending your time in isolation, what about taking a different point of view? Being alone also presents the opportunity for self-love: an empowering loving sensation. We FINALLY have the opportunity and freedom to fall in love and celebrate…ourselves. For the singles this Valentine’s Day, I challenge you to acknowledge your own accomplishments:

• Write yourself a love letter.

•  Make a vision board.

• Recite positive affirmations to yourself.

• Dance in your room like nobody’s watching…because nobody will be! 

Pixabay

When you can relish in the beauty of who you are, you are no longer dependent on the validation of others. Loving yourself first is essential to receiving and properly offering your love to others. The separation of being in lockdown has created loving relationships with others as well as with ourselves. Love is in the air purifier in 2021. 

Sources

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/study-singles-are-over-the-pressure-of-valentines-day-say-it-should-be-canceled-300994953.html. 

mashable.com/article/cuffing-season-2020-dating-app-increases-hinge-match/.  

Hi! I'm Hannah Shemtov, and I'm a student studying journalism and psychology at Emerson College. I enjoy reporting on culture and international news and is interested in producing for broadcast.