Filming Locations from Hocus Pocus You Should Visit this Fall in Salem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Salem, Massachusetts is the ultimate city to visit during the Fall time to get into the Halloween spirit. Every October, both tourists and locals journey to Salem to visit famous landmarks from the 1692 witch trials. The 1993 cult classic Hocus Pocus draws a following of fans to the city for its various filming locations. Here’s a list of some of the film’s  locations for you to visit this year to immerse yourself into the world of Hocus Pocus

Allison’s House- The Ropes Mansion

318 Essex Street Salem, MA

Fans can take a trip to pose outside this historic building that serves as Allison’s home in the film. Visitors can also reserve tickets to tour the mansion for free admission. This historic site also has gardens in the back of the mansion that are open to the public. 

Old Burial Hill Cemetery

Marblehead, MA 

This historic cemetery located in Marblehead is the filming location of the scene where Max runs into Ice and Jay and gets his shoes stolen. Located on a hill, visitors can see beautiful views of the water and the homes surrounding this town. 

Halloween Party- Old Town Hall

32 Derby Square Salem, MA

This National Historic site was built in 1816. It serves as a cultural facility for the play Cry Innocent, where visitors act as the jury in a 1692 witchcraft trial. This building is where the infamous, iconic, and legendary performance by Bette Midler “I Put a Spell on You” was filmed. 

Max and Dani’s House

4 Ocean Avenue Salem, MA

Every Hocus Pocus fan deserves to journey to Salem at least once in their life to see the home that served as Max and Dani’s home. Every year fans from all over pose in front of this iconic home. I got to visit the home last Fall and definitely had my fangirl moment. This home is privately owned, so please be respectful of the current owners. 

Visiting Salem in October is worth the trip to immerse yourself in the spooky Halloween spirit. There’s plenty of themed gift shops to buy merch from all of your favorite Halloween films, as well as museums, restaurants, tours, and performances to experience. You’ll see many other like-minded spooky individuals and feel all the Halloween vibes. 

Sara is a third-year Visual and Media Arts Major at Emerson College. Raised in Port Chester, NY she spends most of her time in her favorite city in the world: New York. She uses writing as a creative and healing outlet, writing about her passion for music with concert/album reviews, film and photography, and discovery and personal growth.