Female Artists You Don’t Know, But Should. Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Are you ready for Part Two of female artists you need to know about? This lists contains many different genres and singing styles, all which are worth your time to check out and download.

Eliza Doolittle

If you are into old school sounds with fun subjects (think Lollipops, Rollerblades and Milkshakes) while still getting some emotion out of it, Eliza Doolittle is your girl. You’ve probably heard her song “Rollerblades” in commercials on TV, but her song “Pack Up” really emulates what she’s all about. It includes a 50’s vibe to it, with a male back-up singer and some “Surfin’ Bird” elements to it. She’s the songstress that makes you want to lay in bed all day, feeling pretty.

Pixie Lott

Pixie Lott, or Victoria Louise Lott, hails from the U.K. and is best known for her electropop and upbeat melodies. This 21 year old rose to fame with her debut single “Mama Do” and topped UK charts with “Boys and Girls”. If you like dancing around while getting ready, Pixie Lott is definitely what you should be listening to.

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper

There’s few chanteuses that will reel you in with just their voice alone, and Aly Spaltro does just that. She seems like your usual skinny-minnie hipster girl, but really delivers with her voice and enchanting and picturesque lyrics such as “But there’s a hunger under my skin and its gripping at my bones, there’s a hunger like a lion’s and it’s ripping right through my bones” in “Crane Your Neck.” This folk beauty will have you singing along in your car, or your dorm room.

Chairlift

Although this is a male + female duo, Caroline Polacheck is the lead vocalist that will draw you in with her dreamy voice. This synth pop duo has a an ethereal feel, and with “I Belong In Your Arms” you will instantly fall in love with their unique music style–upbeat but still keeps that mysteriousness that first enticed Chairlifts fans. Think Imogen Heap and The Cranberries combined with elements of Yeasayer, especially in their song “Wrong Opinion.”

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.