Female Artists You Don’t Know, But Should

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Many excellent artists are overshadowed by mainstream artists, and are left to be discovered by curious listeners who want to expand their horizons. This list contains four female artists who are severely underrated and just need more exposure. Ranging from R&B, electronic to Jazz and New Wave these artists definitely have achieved cult status but are too good to be kept under the covers.  

Kreayshawn

You’ve probably already heard Ms. Keayshawn’s sailor mouth on her Twitter account (@KREAYSHAWN) ranting about her feelings and other sorts. Her infectious single, “Gucci Gucci” got everyone rapping and wishing they were in a room “full of bad bitches.” This San Francisco native has gotten many heads turning in her direction; her unique style, and carefree livin’ is definitely working in Kreayshawn’s favor. With a name that derives from “creation,” you know that her debut album “Life With Loopy” dropping this year won’t be just a viral success but part of your reality. 

Paloma Faith

Paloma is emerging as one of my top listened artists on my Last.FM and with good reason. Her music can be compared to that as a more Bebop-style Adele. Her irresistible contralto voice works with lusting lyrics such as “Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?” or “Stone Cold Sober”. Paloma is definitely an underrated artist who contains lots of potential to be just as big as other UK singer-songwriters. Her fierce persona and “girl-power” attitude will have you dancing morning, day and night. 

Oh Land

Nanna Øland Fabricius, or most commonly referred to her stage name Oh Land, debuted her sophomore album “Oh Land” last March. Performing on Late Show with David Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel Live, and The Late Late Show with Craig Furgenson she mostly gained fame with her North America tour with Sia. Apart from touring with Sia, she also opened for Katy Perry on some selected dates. This former ballerina’s experimental pop-electronica songs such as “Son of a Gun” and “We Turn It Up” are melodic and fun, while “Wolf & I” and “White Nights” are more reflective and sway-worthy.

Santigold

Santigold (originally “Santogold”) is the perfect mixture of New-Wave, Electronica and R&B. Her 2008 self-titled debuted with “glowing” reviews, so it wasn’t to anyone surprise that Santigold’s come-back in 2012 with “Master of My Make-Believe” is much anticipated. Her style an influences have been compared that to M.I.A, but leaning more into a more reggae sound. Her single “Bad Mouth” has dropped already, and with a new distinct sound that is still relatable to her debut album. If you like eccentric songs with inaudible chants she’s the girl for you.

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.