This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s no secret that trends become big in Europe long before they hit the U.S., and while Americans tend to think fall fashion is our domain, this year’s European fall-wear may be a clue to what’s about to get big in the States.  This semester I’ve been studying in the south of the Netherlands, and weekend travel has given me some excellent insight into how Europeans transition from summer to fall.  Here’s what’s “in” across the continent, and what we can expect to head our way.

Amsterdam

The sleek, sporty look.  Across the Netherlands, women are rocking skinny jeans, athletic sneakers — much like the ones popping up in the States over the last year — and biker jackets.  The boyfriend jean is big too, but in a much sportier way than we style it in the U.S. The look is always effortless and simple, with minimal accessories beyond scarves and hats.  Long, sleek hair and minimal makeup finish off the look.

Milan

While northern Italy and southern Italy are said to be two different worlds, the north is known best for its cutting-edge style.  Milan is more diverse in style than Amsterdam: some looks are ultra-feminine while others are more structured and architectural.  The one thing they have in common, though, is that the clothes are all very well made.  It’s hard to get away with Forever 21 and Target in Milan (I know from experience) and avoid looking like a tourist.  As Italy’s fashion equivalent of Paris, Milan is the place to wear your investment pieces and, for fall, experiment with textures.  Leather, fur, silk: it sounds expensive to dress like the Milanese, but another big secret of theirs is outlet shopping.  Vintage, consignment and Goodwill are all excellent options to get an expensive, textural fall look without actually having to go for Ferragamo and Versace.

London

It’s always been a bit of a fashion melting pot, so a lot of previously listed trends show up here as well.  Something London has always excelled at, however, is the prep look.  Especially in fall, oxford shirts, blazers, and fuller skirts are a hallmark of the well-dressed Brit.  Instead of bright American oranges and purples for fall, try muted colors and more classic lines.

Berlin

Surprisingly, in terms of street style, Berlin is the most similar to a U.S. city.  Most looks are very casual, with lots of leather boots and skinny jeans.  What’s special about Berlin, though?  It’s super edgy.  You can always separate tourists from the locals by way of piercings and effortlessly distressed jeans.  One item that you can count on making its way over to the U.S. soon is the denim mini skirt.  Less 2008 and more 90s, Berliners are styling them like you would vintage jeans: with thrifted t-shirts, leather jackets, and moto boots.  The weather isn’t exactly warm in Berlin this time of year, so tights and scarves are encouraged to dress up your denim skirt and make the transition to winter a little bit easier.

Emerson contributor