Emerson Highlights: What To Show Your Family During Family Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Family Weekend is almost here, and we know what you’re thinking: “What am I going to do when my family gets here?” While Boston is an amazing city with a seemingly endless number of attractions, your parents will be most interested in you. They’re going to want to know how you are, what you’ve been doing, and who you’ve been doing it with. To ease their worries, try staying on campus one afternoon during their visit, in order to show them around Emerson. As a student, you know how much the college has to offer, but your family members may not. If you’re unsure of where to start, below is a simple guide detailing what to show your families once they arrive.

1. Living: Piano Row, Little Building, Paramount, Colonial

Your dorm is your space. Start off the tour by showing your family your residence hall. Introduce them to your RA and floor mates, suite mates, and/or roommate(s); and let them see your room. Just make sure to tidy up before they come, if necessary.

2. Eating: The Dining Hall, Emerson’s Cafe

Make sure you have a decent meal towards the beginning of the day. You’re going to need your energy. Introduce your family to the DH or EmCaf for a filling breakfast.

3. Classes: Walker, Tufte, Union Bank Building, etc.

Your parents are going to want to know all about your academics. Walk them through your class schedule, and elaborate on each class along the way. Answer their questions about your professors, explain to them what you’re currently working on, and tell them about your classmates.

4. Extracurriculars: WERS, TV studios, etc.

Next, let your family know what you’ve been up to outside of school. Show them how involved you are by taking them on a tour of your workspace. Whether it be the WERS suite, Studio A, or anywhere in between, wow your family by showcasing your talents.

5. Hangouts: The Max, Boston Common

When it’s time for a snack, show your family how Emerson students do it. Stop by The Max for a f’real or some mozzarella sticks before moving on. And while you’re on the subject of campus hangouts, if the weather is nice you can walk with your family through the Common.

6. Entertainment: Cutler Majestic Theatre, The Paramount Center, Colonial Theatre

Emerson is home to three beautiful theaters. Make sure your family sees at least one, if not all three. After all, you might be up there someday soon – whether in a performance or giving a speech.

7. Necessities: Emerson College Bookstore

To finish off your tour, bring your family to the bookstore. They’ll probably want an Emerson mug or t-shirt, and you can pick up anything else you need while you’re at it.

Family Weekend can seem overwhelming, but it is a great opportunity to update your family on your life at Emerson. So, don’t stress out too much. Relax, have fun, and enjoy spending time with your family.

Jamie is a senior Writing, Literature and Publishing major at Emerson College in Boston, MA. She is the Her Campus Life Editor, a National Contributing Writer, and Campus Correspondent of the Emerson Her Campus chapter. Jamie plans to pursue a career in the magazine industry. See more of her work at: www.jamiemkravitz.com
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.