Em Caf: The Secret Menu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The “West Coast Best Coast” debate might be a controversial one, but there’s no denying they’ve got one thing down: In-N-Out, a deliciously fresh fast food restaurant. If you’ve ever been to California (or maybe you’re a local), you should know that In-N-Out does it right. And if you did Cali right, you know what I’m talking about. But what many non-locals aren’t aware of is that In-N-Out boasts a “secret menu.” Any knowledgeable native knows to order their burger (and even fries, if they’re feeling ambitious) “animal style.” What’s that? You’ll have to make the Western trek to see for yourself. Or if you’re lazy, Texas has a few scattered locations too. In addition to the infamous animal style, the secret menu maintains other coveted options, like “protein style” and even grilled cheese. Each option off the secret menu tweaks the overly simplistic carte de jour (consisting of burger, cheeseburger, and fries) to create an enhanced experience that’ll have your taste buds begging for seconds. 

But what does this have to do with Emerson’s Café? Well, Em Cafe, a popular breakfast joint, meeting spot, and people-watching platform on campus, happens to entertain a “secret menu” of their own! With a menu that can get repetitive at best – how many chicken-pesto Panini’s can a girl really eat? – these twists on everything you know will be sure to change up your daily routine. 

PB&J

Feeling homesick? Nostalgic? Reminisce about the days when Mom used to pack your lunches in your N’Sync lunchbox with this childhood favorite. Order a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich on wheat bread, and make sure to ask for the bread untoasted. The blonde cutie (does he even go here?) might ask if you want the crusts cut off too, so feel free to give the sass right back with a “And I’ll take a glass of milk with that. Non-fat, thanks.” But actually, enjoy this comfort food with a High Lawn Farm milk, and hey, why not jam out to some Spice Girls while you’re at it?

Veggie Sausage & Egg Whites

Breakfast sandwiches are dangerously delicious, with a calorie count that’s as indulgent as the taste. But what most Emermunchians don’t know, is that you can request some healthy substitutes that are both tasty and guilt free. Morningstar Veggie Sausage is available to replace the regular sausage for only 50 cents extra. The loose change is worth collecting though, as these patties are much less greasy and vegetarian! Egg whites can be substituted at no extra cost and are a much healthier alternative to the white and yellow spin-art plopped onto most Em Cafe breakfast sandwiches. Next time you stumble in for a quick breakfast before your 8AM class, remember that these nutritious options are yours for the tasting. 

Bagel For Lunch

If you’re craving a bagel while everyone around you is waiting on sandwiches and soup, try the Bagel For Lunch tactic. Unbeknownst to many, behind the magical counter in front of which we wait for our food lies more than just strawberry, light, and regular cream cheese. Take a peak and you’ll find a colorful array of veggies and cold cuts! To make your breakfast hankering afternoon-appropriate, order a bagel with cream cheese, turkey, tomatoes, and lettuce! The comforting creaminess of the cheese will take care of your craving, but it’s also a perfect companion for the protein-rich turkey. Plus, the added vegetables will give you the vitamins you need to balance out the tryptophan (that’s what makes you sleepy after eating turkey) and keep you going through your two o’clock class. 

Try out these hidden gems at Em Café and mix up your dining drill for a totally refreshing experience. Make sure you’re nice to the employees though. Try to order more complicated items (PB&Js require an insane amount of button pressing) when the line doesn’t look like it could eat you alive. 

The “secret menu”  will inspire you to spend some Board Bucks and might even bolster your awkward waiting-for-your-food-conversation with that kid from your floor Freshman year. I’ll bet he only ordered a bagel with cream cheese. Talk about passé!

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.