This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Traveling through Europe with no one to answer to definitely has its perks, but I think recently being given the opportunity to spend time with family has deepened my European experience.  

I hadn’t seen my aunt, uncle, or cousins for years because they live in London, so I was grateful the Kasteel Well program gave me a chance to be on their side of the Atlantic. My friend, Molly, and I knew our weekend with them would be one of the highlights of our European adventure. When we saw tacos waiting for us upon arrival, those thoughts were confirmed. A hint of Mexican food was just what we needed to feel at home. My aunt was the perfect tour guide. She shared with us moments she had experienced at every main attraction, giving us a more personalized view of the city. She told us stories ranging from her and my uncle’s wedding at Westminster Abbey, to the time she was riding the Tube and a bomb went off in her train. My cousin Sophie, who was home from art school in Glasgow, Scotland, showed us London by night. Together, we explored the streets of Soho and went clubbing in Camden, and Molly and I took the obligatory pictures of ourselves in front of Russell Brand’s old flat, which is on my family’s street.  

Spending time with the locals made us feel like we were in a British episode of Skins, and I can’t begin to explain how nice it felt to go home to an actual home instead of the usual hostel.

Image: Kristen and Sophie celebrating their love for each other’s countries in London’s Top Shop.

I got another dose of family during my spring break trip to Athens. My friends and I were picked up at the airport by our host, and fellow Emersonian, Stefanos Sitaras, who quickly informed us that this wouldn’t be just any vacation in Greece, but a “Stefanos vacation.” He completely immersed us into the Greek culture, starting with a visit to see his 93-year-old Yaya. I’ve never met anyone so full of life. We spent time with her every chance we got, listening to her tell stories in Greek and attempting to beat her at the card games she taught us. We were shown all the best views and local hang outs of the city, and were fed multiple home cooked meals by different families we met throughout the week. Not a moment went by where we felt like we didn’t belong.

Image: Sitaras showing off the highest point in Athens.

Of course I loved seeing Big Ben and the Parthenon, but staying with locals gave me a chance to experience the cities in a way I wouldn’t have been able to had I just been with other tourists. I’d recommend this method of travel to anyone going to the Castle. If you don’t have that option on the weekends, however, don’t worry. After every trip, the Castle, itself, begins to feel more and more like home.

Photo Credit: Molly Kaplan, ‘13, Studio TV Production

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.