This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Let’s face it the temperature is dropping like the bass on your favorite dubstep tune and those light and airy summer cardigans just aren’t going to cut it for very much longer.

But don’t fret my sweet Collegiettes! Go ahead, say your weepy farewells to your adorable summer attire but, don’t sulk for too long because you have to put yourself back together to give a warm welcome to: FALL SWEATERS!

Fall sweaters are the best because they’re warm, comfy, and versatile! And you can take on many personas in a fall sweater! Wear a crazy pattern and just like that, you’re Bill Cosby; put on a zip-up sweater and before you know it, you’re good ol’ Mr. Rogers. Or if you prefer the chic and sophisticated look, channel your inner Alexa Chung!

To get things started, check out this DIY sweater project—you’ll be the coolest sweater-wearing kid on the fall block! 

The Detachable Peter Pan Collar
The answer to every bland, lifeless sweater

Materials:

• old collared shirt
  • scissors
  • miscellaneous decorative items (glitter, lace, fabric paint, etc.)

What to do:

1. Lay the collar of the shirt down flat
  2. Grab your scissors and cut as close to the collar as you can—make sure not to snip the neckband (you can use the neckline seam to direct you)
  3. And, you’re done! All that’s left is decorating the collar to your heart’s content!

**Follow this link for helpful guide pictures and fun examples of how to decorate your new best friend! DIY project was brought to you by the folks at Rookiemag.com Check ‘em out!

All images via Rookie mag

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.