DIY Key Ring — Never Lose Your Keys Again!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Compared to all of the other responsibilities as a college student, keeping track of your keys is probably at the bottom of your list. After the stress of receiving a series of room violations for misplacing my own keys, though, I decided that keeping track of them should be a main priority. My solution resulted in a DIY that is both chic and functional. Inspired by a friend’s sterling silver charmed key ring, I made one of my own with some wire, beads, and charms from an old bracelet I no longer wear. This DIY is a great way to keep all of your keys in one place and to make use of pieces of old jewelry!

What you need:

• About 12” of 20 gauge wire 
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Scissors
  • Assorted beads and charms
  • Keys
  1. Cut the wire. You might want to shape it around a coffee mug or something round to keep its circular shape 
  2. String your keys, beads, and charms on in any order you like. Get creative! You may even want to use rings, buttons, or anything meaningful to you to make it more personal. 
  3. When you’re done stringing everything on, take your pliers and bend one end of the wire to make a downward-facing “L” shape. 
  4. Squeeze the downward L against the other wire and bend it up to close into a clasped loop. 
  5. Repeat with the other end of the wire and you’re all set! 
  6. Show off your great new key ring to your friends and never think about losing your keys again!
Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.