The Dining Hall: Reinvented

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The Dining Hall…notoriously repetitive, unhealthy, and apparently mouse infested. Many leave the DH unsatisfied time and time again, but the college budget doesn’t allow for much dining variety. The often poor quality of food is masked by the tempting “all-you-can-eat” perk, allowing collegietes to fill up on greasy, tasteless food. But for those of us with higher standards, this is no consolation. Next time your hungry stomach is combating a bored palate, swipe into the DH and try these creative dishes to cure your culinary cravings.

First Course – Caprese Salad
For the first course of your four star feast, grab a blate (bowl-plate) from the salad bar and head over to the sandwich station. Ask for two slivers of fresh mozzarella and a couple tomato slices. Place the tomatoes atop the cheese and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar from the salad bar. Finish the salad off with salt and pepper. Don’t be surprised if you and your blate are stared down with jealous eyes as you march through the dining hall with your culinary creation.

Entre – Pesto Pasta
Less than enthused by the vat of meat sauce neighboring the pasta at home cooking? You’re not alone. When mystery meat and canned tomatoes aren’t exactly your forte, get original and go green! Ask for pasta and, please, hold the sauce. Back at the sandwich station, you can top your pasta with tasty pesto. Mix the two together and garnish with Parmesan a la salad bar!

Dessert – Root Beer Float
We love you Little Donna, but sometimes your treats just don’t cut it. If it’s a soft serve kinda day for you, opt out of the stale cone option and try creating a root beer float! This one’s pretty self-explanatory. But word to the wise, fill your cup with soda before pulling the soft serve lever to prevent bubbles that supersede any actual cola. Use soft serve or froyo, and even venture for the chocolate flavor! Grab a spoon and a straw and dig in, diner style!

Dessert – Peach Parfait
For a healthier (looking) but just as innovative dessert option, try a peach parfait. Fill a bowl with vanilla froyo and top with peach slices from the salad bar. Head over to the cereal corner and top it off with some crunchy granola. This dessert in particular is a treat, as these peaches only grace the DH’s presence once in a blue moon. Make sure to get your fill while you can, because rest assured, supplies won’t last. Try each of these elegantly inspired menu items for a meal worth writing home tweeting about. If you’re feeling particularly ambitious, dress up and bring a tablecloth and candles to follow suit! And voila, you just turned the DH into a fussless, free, four-star bistro buffet!

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.