In Defense of a Female WLP Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Writing, Literature and Publishing (WLP) majors have a rep on the Emerson campus for being completely un-datable: bookish, don’t shower, dress like a 90s soccer mom and are too busy writing to go out and enjoy the real world. Although I would love to say that I have no idea where this horrible rep came from, there are some ladies in a few of my classes that fit this description perfectly. However, to apply this generalization to all WLPs is as unfair as saying that all Emerson students are hipsters. Just because there are a select few, doesn’t mean that everyone is.
            Not all WLPs came to Emerson to write angsty poetry and young adult lit. Although I do have to admit that was my intention in high school, after coming to Emerson, I have realized that there is so much more that the WLP major encompasses. I, for example, have established a love of magazine writing and publishing since attending Emerson and decided to make that my emphasis after taking a magazine writing class. Many other WLP students are fascinated with the changing world of book publishing and want to be involved in that. There are also a few ladies who are using this major a Emerson to pursue a career in book and/or magazine design.
            While marketing majors may have a rep for being the best looking and the “most normal” (what does normal mean anyway?) of the Emerson students, many WLPs (myself included) are marketing minors or decided to take on marketing as a double major making us a lot more connected then the Emerson community likes to think.
            Marketing majors are also known for their social life and tendencies to party just a bit harder than the rest of us, while WLPs are thought to sit at home on Saturday nights reading Harry Potter for the 12th time. Contrary to popular belief, we do actually have social lives. We are involved in way too many extra-curriculars and party on weekends like everyone else.
            Another common misconception is that WLPs do not date because we are so obsessed with literary characters. Yes, I love myself some Mr. Darcy, but I realize that he is only fictional and there are real men out there and I have a boyfriend (who just happens to remind me a lot of Mr. Darcy. But that’s not why I date him! Why would you think that?!).
            Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that Emerson is known for being an accepting school and just as we shouldn’t make generalizations about people because of the color of their skin, their background or their sexual orientation, we shouldn’t generalize anyone based on their major (Yeah, I’m pulling on the emotional card). So the next time you see a girl sitting in EmCaf sipping tea and people watching to come up with ideas for her fiction story, sit next to her and say hi. Both of you will be glad you did.

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.