Keegan Acton and friend laughing
Keegan Acton and friend laughing
Keegan Acton

In Defense of Being Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

In an age where sharing one’s life on social media has become expected, many individuals open themselves up to negativity and criticism they may not have otherwise encountered. One such jab is the never-ending accusation that any girl who likes something considered popular is “basic.”

Essentially, girls who are prosecuted for being basic are usually under scrutiny for something they like, whether that’s clothes or music or something else entirely doesn’t seem to matter. Liking something that other people like is no longer permissible in today’s society.

One would assume that if something is popular it must be good, right? So, why is it shameful to like something that others objectively deem as worthy? One common argument is that girls, specifically teenage girls, are only choosing to wear these clothes, or listen to this music, because other people do. Haven’t you ever tried something new because a friend told you how much they liked it? Recommendations should serve as vetting that something is worth trying rather than deeming it as too popular to be good anymore.

Then again, what does it mean to not be basic? Wearing brand name clothes has been scrutinized, but thrifting is also under fire these days as it becomes more popular. Listening to pop music on the radio means you have no taste, but searching for lesser known indie songs is just as expected and frowned upon as following the crowd.

The idea that nothing is original and therefore it’s bad to agree with other people’s tastes seems inescapable. Even those who go out of their way to avoid these trends have been labeled snarkily as trying to be “quirky” or “not like other girls.” When you get down to it, you realize terms such as “basic” are just an excuse to put down teenage girls for things that they enjoy.

Other groups of individuals use their shared interests to bond and build community. Being called “basic” shouldn’t stop teen girls, or anyone into popular things, from expressing their interests.

So, if you love getting a new pair of shoes that just came out or enjoy listening to the radio’s top hits, don’t let anything stop you! There’s nothing wrong with being proud of enjoying something, regardless of how many others share your opinion. Let the haters hate!

Grace is a sophomore Business of Creative Enterprises student at Emerson College from New York and North Carolina. She’s passionate about theatre, television, writing, and fried chicken.
Emerson contributor