This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

At Emerson there are three major dance companies, all of which are completely unique and apply different intents for the dance community.
Emerson Dance Company is the largest student run organization at Emerson. The company welcomes both beginner dancers and advanced, and everything in between! They put on one showcase a semester and the genres range from jazz to hip-hop to contemporary to Irish step.

Emerson Urban Dance Theatre is an independent dance company founded by Emerson alum Michael Love (2010) and comprised of Emerson students who are passionate about the use of hip-hop/ street jazz, rhythm tap, and related dance styles as dynamic narrative tools. They also put on one showcase a semester.

Emerge is an up and coming group that believes in tapping into Emerson’s diverse and talented student population to explore and synthesize their numerous mediums of expression. Coupling improvisational dance choreography with the talent of aspiring actors, filmmakers and musicians, EMERGE Danceworks is committed to providing unique and exciting entertainment showcasing collaboration between multiple art forms.

These photos are from improvisational sessions of an Emerson Dance Company rehearsal, as well as an Emerge rehearsal.

For more information on this semesters upcoming showcases, dates, and tickets please click these links!

EUDT: http://www.facebook.com/events/114895728624626/ (Show date: December 3rd, 2011)

EDC: Email edc.prez@gmail.com for information on EDC’s upcoming (Show date: December 10th, 2011)

Emerge: Email Ashli_Bickford@emerson.edu (Show date: December 11th, 2011)

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.